PDA

View Full Version : Old project, New Photos

Scott D Davis
2004-06-22, 10:49 PM
A while back in the Zoog days, I posted images of the University of Judaism project under construction, that we built a model for in Revit. I started around the Revit 1.0 days on the model to help us work out some of the complexities of curved wall/roof combinations. The construction documents were already well underway in AutoCAD, but the Revit model helped us crank out elevations and sections.

We just had the completed project professionally photographed, and I thought I would share a couple of the 'proofs' with you all. I'm very please with the project and think it turned out very nicely. Feel free to comment!

http://forums.augi.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2192

Roger Evans
2004-06-22, 10:54 PM
Absolutely Cracking how come you've hidden this for so long then? ~ did you do any renderings so we could compare evolution?

sfaust
2004-06-23, 01:36 PM
Very nice project! I like the materials too. I would love to see some renderings...

Steve_Stafford
2004-06-23, 02:25 PM
But Scott...you TOLD ME those ARE the renderings! :wink:

Very nice result from a lot of hard work I'm sure.

Scott D Davis
2004-06-23, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the kind words!

Yep, I have some renderings that I will post. They aren't 'great' but they helped the client understand. I've posted some in the past, but I'll post more! I'll try to find some "before and afters." Stay tuned.....

Steve, I WISH those were the renderings! If I could get that good at rendering in Revit, I'd reconsider my current line of work!

Steve_Stafford
2004-06-23, 03:56 PM
I particularly like the night shot where the parking lot/drive is shimmering, reflecting light. It looks like ice or water...very nice effect! Did the photographer spray down the area with water or just "lucky"?

Scott D Davis
2004-06-23, 04:08 PM
We use a local photographer to shoot almost all of our projects upon completion. That particular shot is one he calls "The Glamour Shot." Somehow, he gets FD access to a nearby hydrant, or other water source at the campus, and hoses everything down. Adds another 'level' to the photographs, much like many of us do in renderings where we make things overly reflective to 'enhance' the image.

The reflections and the quality of light it produces are very nice in photos. If you were a client looking through our portfolio, you might think it rains all the time in Southern California!

That particular image, the photographer likes so much that he plans on using it in his own brochures and marketing.

Scott D Davis
2004-06-23, 05:54 PM
Ok, here are some before/after renderings and photos. Remember this model was started in Revit 1.0, and the renderings were probably done in the 3.0 to 4.0 range. (in the first image, notice the 'site' was done with in-place family floors, because there was no site tool yet....) I didn't spend a huge amount of time on renderings, so they aren't anything spectacular. I spent the most time on an interior rendering, but don't have a photo to match.

I've thought about going back in, now that I have the photos, and try to create some new renderings from the exact positions of the new photos. But then the dilemma: update the model/materials/etc., or just leave it as is and spit out the renderings?

Anyways, comments welcome as always.....

adegnan
2004-06-23, 08:08 PM
The really kickass thing (can I say that-- they say it on the radio!) is how good all that stuff actually looks, Scott! I mean, started in verion 1? Rendered in 3 or 4? AWESOME!

Just the changes that took place between 1 and 4 for the upgrade process are amazing that the project was carried out over that period of time. The changes and advances in the software between 1 and 4 were unbelievable.

Nice stuff. Looks very good and very good reflection of reality.

Roger Evans
2004-06-23, 11:34 PM
Thanks for posting these Scott, very inspiring.