PDA

View Full Version : View Title under imported Jpg?

abink
2006-10-31, 11:27 PM
How do I place a view title - or should I rather only call it a title, since it's not a view - under a jpg [showing a vicinity map] that I placed on my sheet? It should look exactly like the view title.

Thanks,
Axel

Tom Dorner
2006-10-31, 11:36 PM
Rather than placing the JPG directly on a sheet, place it into a drafting view then place the drafting view on the sheet. This will get you a view title.

Tom

abink
2006-10-31, 11:44 PM
I stopped myself from thinking this idea to the end because I was convinced that there would be a direct way.

Placing it in a drafting view: Does that mean I should create a copy of one of my floor plans and then place the jpg in there? Or is there a different way to create additional drafting views, since I need all the drafting views I have right now?

rjjlee
2006-10-31, 11:55 PM
Placing it in a drafting view: Does that mean I should create a copy of one of my floor plans and then place the jpg in there? Or is there a different way to create additional drafting views, since I need all the drafting views I have right now?

In the design bar, pick the "View" toolbar. In there, you can click on drafting view to make a new drafting view. The benefit of making a new drafting view is that you don't have to turn every other thing off like you would with a floor plan. Using drafting views also means that your imported drawing can have a scale attached to it.

abink
2006-11-01, 12:16 AM
This is so easy, thanks a lot.

But...My vicinity map is 'not to scale', so how do I go about that? I can switch off the scale only by also switching off the title and the bubble, which is not my intent.

Or is this is a small nudge telling that NTS plans should be a thing of the past...?

ford347
2006-11-01, 12:52 AM
I do this for my maps too. I just duplicated the canned view title, called it "mine", then assigned a yes/no parameter to show scale or not to show scale, created a few new family types in that viewport family and viola!, no scale if I don't need it. So now when I insert the drafting view that contains my mapped jpg, I just select the 'no scale' family for viewport and it will just show the view name. Speaking of scaling an object such as a jpg., just in case you didn't know, you can select your jpg. and hit the scale button, looks like a little square with some white on it, then click a base point, then a point that is a known dimension, then drag the cursor the correct distance, which allows you to scale your picture graphically. Hope I explained that correctly. You may have already known that, but just in case. ;)

Josh

abink
2006-11-01, 02:31 PM
Josh,

You lost me at 'assigned a yes/no parameter'. How is that done? I admit I'm still struggling with family editing and assume it has to do with that. And thanks for informing me on how to scale in Revit. I didn't know how to do it and it's quite similar to how it's done in Sketchup.

Greetings,
Axel

LRaiz
2006-11-01, 02:47 PM
This is so easy, thanks a lot.

But...My vicinity map is 'not to scale', so how do I go about that? I can switch off the scale only by also switching off the title and the bubble, which is not my intent.

Or is this is a small nudge telling that NTS plans should be a thing of the past...?
It is quite easy to make your imported image to scale (not absolutely precise but close enough). After importing jpg into new drafting view select it and start resize command (the one after Mirror in the toolbar). Select two points such that you know true distance between them then type in the distance value; jpg will scale to match your input. No work faking view title is necessary.

ford347
2006-11-01, 03:08 PM
I create a new parameter called no scale or something similar from the family editor and assign is a yes/no in the parameters dialog box. Then I select the scale label's properties and hit the little equal sign next to visible and select the parameter I just created. In the family editor, you can select, 'new family type', name it no scale and uncheck your yes/no parameter. You will have to create a family type called with scale or something and check your yes/no parameter. Now when in your project, these family types will be available for your view ports and you can choose either or. Another option is to open up your viewport family, do a save as and call it view port - no scale and just delete the label for the scale parameter. Then you will just have two separate families for this. I attached two families, one done each way. As Lraiz said, if you scale your map appropriately, there is no need for this new viewport, but personally I find it an overkill and to scale the Rand McNally map. I don't think it's really necessary since it's just a vicinity map and it's only purpose really is to show where the project is. I leave the useful information up to the site plan. But to each his own. Maybe I'll try scaling the jpg next time, who knows, maybe I'll like it. Anyway, at least you have some options.

abink
2006-11-01, 03:14 PM
Okay, it worked out in regard to the size of the map to scale the jpg and insert it at 1"=200' scale. It's smaller now than I had planned it on my sheet and for now it'll be fine. Having written that, I would like to join in the chant that if I had to scale it to 1"=100' I would have had to use a custom scale that would show up as 1:1200, which I believe will be confusing for some.

Still, it would be interesting to know how this assignment of parameters works because I would prefer the map to be sized so that the scale would somewhere around 1"=146'—and mark it as NTS.

Greetings,
Axel

abink
2006-11-01, 03:17 PM
Josh,

your response came in while I was writing mine - thanks for the rfa's and thanks even more for the explanation on how you 'diddit', since knowledge will take me further than plain possession.

Axel