PDA

View Full Version : Compound sloping floor

ron.sanpedro
2006-11-01, 03:03 AM
Given the beam system in the attached file, how would someone go about building a sloped floor or roof that follows the beams? I am brain farting just on defining a workplane that is right. I keep wanting a 3-point UCS ;)

Thanks for any ideas,
Gordon

steve.70285
2006-11-01, 05:15 AM
Gordon,

There may be another way but this how I do it.

Work out an intersection of the two rises and determine the height at that point. See attached file.

ron.sanpedro
2006-11-01, 05:46 AM
Gordon,

There may be another way but this how I do it.

Work out an intersection of the two rises and determine the height at that point. See attached file.

So you are doing this mathematically? Hmmm..... I imagine some users wanting a a graphical way to do this, but a workaround is viable for the mathematically inclined on the team. There are only so many of us ;) For new work the math is easy, but in the current situation I am working on it is an existing building, with a rather wonky floor, onto which a new level floor is going to be floated. So getting the existing floor very close to right is fairly important, and non trivial math.

Anyway have any thoughts on defining a work plane based on pick points? Perhaps a wish list item, as this would be trivial if I could pick the correct three points on the beams and place a floor at that work plane.

Thanks, now go to a Halloween Party or something! ;) Sheesh.

Gordon

steve.70285
2006-11-01, 02:51 PM
Gordon,

My initial instinct was to create a named reference plane on the one slope, make a floor and slope the other direction - as did you. Seems logical and maybe a wishlist item for the factory.

I know you don't want to here this but if you need to create a work plane based floor it may have to be an in-place family.

Maybe some one elso has a graphical solution.

Rhythmick
2006-11-01, 04:39 PM
Here is a solution using a slope arrow. Sketch the floor to intersecting elevation points, set the slope arrow.
Use the opening tool to cut out the excess.

ron.sanpedro
2006-11-01, 05:02 PM
Here is a solution using a slope arrow. Sketch the floor to intersecting elevation points, set the slope arrow.
Use the opening tool to cut out the excess.

I tried something like that, but I couldn't get the slope arrow to snap to the beams, this still requiring a typed start end end height, rather than a click to extract that info from the model. Actually I guess this could be something that gets solved once 3D snapping is added. As long as 3D snapping is added everywhere.

Gordon