PDA

View Full Version : Angled Steel

Chris DiSunno
2006-11-01, 05:29 PM
I have created a steel fame as an inplace family on an angle to support a roof. I need to dimension it. If I cut a section and rotate it how can I be sure that I am parallel to the steel? Also I can't seem to snap dimensions to it.

Chris DiSunno
2006-11-01, 05:53 PM
Here is the piece I need to dimension.

steve.70285
2006-11-01, 05:58 PM
Drawing a section to a skewed angle is tough because you can't snap to anything in the model when cutting the section.

A trick is to first draw a grid line; snapping to the element as you draw. Then when you draw the section it will snap to the alignment of the grid.

Obviously, once you have your section then just erase the grid line.

As you have probably figured out - your not able to dimension because your view is not exactly square to the section cut.

Chris DiSunno
2006-11-01, 07:01 PM
I don't seem to be able to draw a grid line on an angle to this object. I made a quick family similar and can seem to snap to it when it is inserted. Do you think it is because the steel tube has curved edges and is not a sharp corner?

steve.70285
2006-11-06, 06:00 PM
Chris,

Are you drawing the grid line in plan view? You should be able to snap to something even with rounded edges, it would just be a matter of making sure you'rere snapping parallel to the object.