PDA

View Full Version : Filters and Curtain Walls

ron.sanpedro
2006-11-02, 05:30 PM
I am trying to do some filtering, and running into problems with Curtain Walls. Basically I am trying to show a complete exisiting building, and then build up the new building system by system in a series of views. So the first view is the existing building and the new foundation, the next view adds the structural system, thext adds the walls and storefront, and the last one adds the roof. I am filtering by the Comments property, and I just add "roof" to the comments for the roof, "walls" to the comments for all the walls, windows, doors and curtain walls, etc. Then I can filter and turn off visibility on whatever is needed for each view, all while leaving the entire exisiting building showing.
And it works great, except for curtain walls. In plan I select the entire curtain system. The type dropdown says "Curtain Wall : Storefront", and indeed there is a comments property for the entire system. But the filter doesn't work! You actually have to go thru and put the "Walls" Comment on every single component of the curtain wall. And this is made even more difficult by the fact that you can't just window the whole system because then you get Curtain Wall Grids, which have no Comments property, and thus drop that property out of the list for the whole selection.
I am hoping I am actually doing something wrong. Can anyone offer a better solution? Even Select All Similar is a problem, because it will select existing components, or components in a different curtain wall that I don't actually want to filter, etc.
Crossed fingers!

Thanks,
Gordon

bbeck
2006-11-02, 07:33 PM
I tried several different filters with various sub-categories with different "filter by" options and I get the same results as you Gordon. Maybe someone else has an alternative procedure without having to rethink your approach. I would possibly fall back to a phasing scheme if this was just a presentation model.

ron.sanpedro
2006-11-02, 09:21 PM
I tried several different filters with various sub-categories with different "filter by" options and I get the same results as you Gordon. Maybe someone else has an alternative procedure without having to rethink your approach. I would possibly fall back to a phasing scheme if this was just a presentation model.

I too am hopeful. I did discover a slightly better workaround. Select a grid and Hide Category. Now you can more easily window to select all the Curtain Wall components.

Best,
Gordon