PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I attach this wall?

patricks
2006-11-02, 09:21 PM
I have a metal stud wall type, with a drywall layer. I unlocked the top of the drywall layer because I need a top offset in some locations. Now I have another instance of this same wall type that I want to attach to my roof, but it says it can't extend layers of the vertically compound wall, even though there is no top offset on this particular instance of the wall. The top offset is set to zero.

So can walls with unlocked layers at the top not be attached to anything? That just doesn't seem right.

sleimgruber06
2006-11-02, 11:15 PM
I have a metal stud wall type, with a drywall layer. I unlocked the top of the drywall layer because I need a top offset in some locations. Now I have another instance of this same wall type that I want to attach to my roof, but it says it can't extend layers of the vertically compound wall, even though there is no top offset on this particular instance of the wall. The top offset is set to zero.

So can walls with unlocked layers at the top not be attached to anything? That just doesn't seem right.

Give it a shot and lock the layers and see what happen then report back... I'd like to hear how that goes because it seems a little strange to me as well...

patricks
2006-11-03, 02:52 PM
I don't want to lock the layers because I have other instances that have a top offset defined.

booooo :(

aaronrumple
2006-11-03, 03:20 PM
You'll get this error if the attachment would move the wall into such a position that the offset of the unlocked layer becomes invalid. (...ie the base jumps up so far that the offset would be above the top of the wall.)

Moving the base of the wall closer to the target and then attaching should do the trick.

patricks
2006-11-03, 04:17 PM
You'll get this error if the attachment would move the wall into such a position that the offset of the unlocked layer becomes invalid. (...ie the base jumps up so far that the offset would be above the top of the wall.)

Moving the base of the wall closer to the target and then attaching should do the trick.

I still don't understand though why I get this error on a wall that has 0 for the top offset.

I'm trying to attach the wall to a roof, with the roof slopes perpendicular to the wall, and the roof ridge somewhere in the middle of the wall. The wall is curved, and the roof slopes about 1/2 in 12 on one side, and 1-1/2 in 12 on the other side.

bah, still wouldn't work no matter where the top of the wall is located. So I just made yet another wall type for that one instance :roll:

Scott D Davis
2006-11-03, 04:29 PM
I don't want to lock the layers because I have other instances that have a top offset defined.

booooo :(
Duplicate the wall type, name it the same except add "locked" to the name, then go to propertiesand lock the layers. Now you have two wall types that are the same, except one has locked layers, the other has unlocker layers.

patricks
2006-11-03, 05:05 PM
beat you to it :p