PDA

View Full Version : Ceilings - multiple slopes

dbaldacchino
2006-11-02, 10:56 PM
I was just adding a ceiling and selected two sides to define a slope, just like you can do with a roof. Revit won't let you do that. So I tried a sloping arrow and once you place one, the arrow is not available anymore. Same happens with making one side as defining slope....the arrow becomes unavailable. This is because (evidently) ceilings can only be sloped in one direction. Bummer....they need to work just like roofs in my opinion.

But anyway.....it would be swell if once you define one side of the ceiling sketch as "defines slope", this obtion becomes greyed out as well. So next time other people don't spend as much time as I did trying to figure out why they're getting this error. If an option isn't possible, take it out please, just like you coded the slope arrow! Thanks...you can now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

nandini
2006-11-03, 08:28 AM
you are right...ceilings needed to be simpler...
the solution here would be that u do two celings.
and looking at it in a different perspective, its good being this way.its got its advantages.

Henry D
2006-11-03, 12:03 PM
The way Revit does ceilings has always been an issue for me. I do a lot of cathedral ceilings, inverted hip ceilings, tray ceilings, etc. I gave up using ceilings a long time ago and just use roofs for my ceilings. I know that creates other issues, but for me it works well. Using roof modeling I can quickly get any shape ceiling I want and attach walls to the bottom.

I don't know why they didn't program the sketching for ceilings with the same options as roofs.

aaronrumple
2006-11-03, 02:34 PM
Ceilings need several enhancements.

They need multiple slopes.
They need their own hosted sweeps for adding in cornice trim. (Should be similar to the fascia and gutter tools.)
They really, really, really need to show the grid as dashed in a demo plan.
They need a new type that is like the curtain wall tool which can host panels in a frame system for coffers and some of the newer curved panels. This would differ in that partial panels at the edges would get cut - not shrunken.
They need a "By Extrustion" option like the roof for vaulted areas.
Right now I use a roof when I need a multiple sloped ceiling or a vault - however that's a work around that screws up ceiling hosted objects.

patricks
2006-11-03, 02:49 PM
As far as I know, roofs are the only horizontal planar objects that can have more than one slops. Floors, ceilings, and even soffits (listed under the roof tool!) can only have one slope line per sketch.