PDA

View Full Version : link category in Project Browser to VG settings...

Calvn_Swing
2006-11-07, 05:27 PM
The more complicated our Revit projects get, the more we are trying to effectively manage our views, view templates, etc... However, one thing we haven't figured out yet is if we can somehow reference categories to the VG settings. For instance, the category "building sections" should all have the same default view template and any other view related settings. (Why, btw, is the "Hide at scales coarser than" setting not in the view template?)

Is there any way to link them?

Thanks

dbaldacchino
2006-11-07, 06:46 PM
No you can't do what you're thinking....you can however assign the same view template for a particular view type, which means that all those views will inherit the same display properties. I hadn't noticed the missing parameter from the View Templates. If I were you, I'd file a support request with Autodesk to document this need.

aaronrumple
2006-11-07, 07:00 PM
The more complicated our Revit projects get, the more we are trying to effectively manage our views, view templates, etc... However, one thing we haven't figured out yet is if we can somehow reference categories to the VG settings. For instance, the category "building sections" should all have the same default view template and any other view related settings. (Why, btw, is the "Hide at scales coarser than" setting not in the view template?)

Is there any way to link them?

Thanks
Hide at scales coarse than is a property of the symbol creating the view - not the view itself.

The biggest thing I could use for view management is the ability to schedule views and what view templates are assigned. That would greatly assist me in finding views that don't have view templates assigned - or have the wrong ones assigned. I also wish that the templates would be "sticky" and reset the view when the file is closed or printed. Also it is a pain to have everyone save to central and reload before you can do a progress print. With a long STC, this can run into a good 2-3 man hours lost each day with a large team sitting around.

Organizing the project browser and sorting view types is the best way to make sure you can quickly update all views of similar types with the correct view template

Calvn_Swing
2006-11-07, 07:50 PM
....you can however assign the same view template for a particular view type, which means that all those views will inherit the same display properties.

How?

When I select a view, select properties, and attempt to edit the view type, there is no option there. I can't seem to select or edit a view type's properties directly either. Do you mean I can shift-select all the views in a view type and assign them? That is not the same thing in my opinion. It functions the same, but the solution is not elegant. I'm a designer. I like elegant. Besides, if I can link the view type to a view template directly as you're suggesting, then it should be "sticky"-ish and at least default that view to the correct template saving a few mouse clicks here and there.

Thanks!

aaronrumple
2006-11-07, 08:53 PM
How?

When I select a view, select properties, and attempt to edit the view type, there is no option there. I can't seem to select or edit a view type's properties directly either. Do you mean I can shift-select all the views in a view type and assign them? That is not the same thing in my opinion. It functions the same, but the solution is not elegant. I'm a designer. I like elegant. Besides, if I can link the view type to a view template directly as you're suggesting, then it should be "sticky"-ish and at least default that view to the correct template saving a few mouse clicks here and there.

Thanks!
It isn't "sticky" as you and I would like. The feature applies to initial assignment of templates to new views of the same type. It can save some time and does provide some automation, but doesn't resolve issues of people making changes and then not reapplying templates....

Calvn_Swing
2006-11-07, 09:41 PM
Once again,

HOW!!!!!

Really, this is great news to me that I CAN associate the view templates with view types. Really good news. Even if it isn't sticky enough yet. But, I cannot for the life of me figure out how you're making them associate. Something like, go to view template setting, select checkbox a, c, and d, do a vodoo dance, turn around 5 times, and they'll magically be associated.

Thanks again!

aaronrumple
2006-11-07, 10:18 PM
Once again,

HOW!!!!!

Really, this is great news to me that I CAN associate the view templates with view types. Really good news. Even if it isn't sticky enough yet. But, I cannot for the life of me figure out how you're making them associate. Something like, go to view template setting, select checkbox a, c, and d, do a vodoo dance, turn around 5 times, and they'll magically be associated.

Thanks again!
When you go to the apply template dialog, you'll find check box at the bottom. "Apply automatically to new views of the same type." Right there all along.

Can't say I ever use it. If I've got 20 floor plans - there will be 4 different view templates. So it will only be right 20% of the time.

Calvn_Swing
2006-11-07, 11:05 PM
Edit: THANK YOU!!!

"Right there all along."
How could I have been so blind. If it were a snake, it would have bit me. Boy do I feel foolish.

Too true with floor plans, but with sections I can create a new view type to reflect different section types. We have 5 currently, and all the view templates are the same across the board for a particular type. we're also using the "hide at scales coarser than" property to simplify our hiding of annotations in view.

Now, if only:
a) "sticky"
b) in VG settings you could turn off section tags for a particular view type.
c) the "hide coarser" thing actually showed up in view templates.
d) I could create new view types in the Floor Plan, Ceiling Plan, and 3D View system families.
And yes, scheduling the Views would be uber cool, as would scheduling Levels.

dbaldacchino
2006-11-07, 11:33 PM
The fastest way I found to apply a view template and set it as the default for that view is to open your view, go to View -> Apply View Template and select the one to apply. It'll then become the Default View Template for that view. Then, once you make changes to view templates, select all views and apply the Default view template. Any changes to the view templates will modify the view settings of those views assigned to them.

Calvn_Swing
2006-12-28, 11:44 PM
Dusting off another old one...

So, we've finally got version 1.0 of our internal wall template. Looks great, feels great, you get the picture. I'm not personally working on the sucker, but my partner in crime is having a most peculiar problem.

The views aren't staying where he leaves them. We've got crop regions hiding the things we don't want to see, and some active filters doing much the same thing as well, but a lot of the views like to return to some magic spot in the model that is completely blank. (All plan views). Not sure what is going on because I haven't noticed that happening in my own work, with the exception of one or two views in our first Revit project that liked a location too. That problem vanished by itself one day, so we never had to fix it. Any clues?

Thanks!