PDA

View Full Version : Casework in plan view

Mike.68517
2004-06-23, 06:28 PM
I'm a new Revit user and I'm working on a kitchen in a multifamily project....
How do you get the cabinets to display properly in plan view, without showing each individual cabinet? Is there any way to show this, other than just with lines?

How do the pro's do it?

Thanks for any advice!

Scott D Davis
2004-06-23, 06:42 PM
can you post an example of how you'd like it to display?

Mike.68517
2004-06-23, 06:52 PM
Sure... It's my first time uploading... so hopefully it works.

This image was created with just plain model lines.

Steve_Stafford
2004-06-23, 06:55 PM
More than one way to solve this, each is "right" depending on the purpose:

2D lines - Make two linestyles - 2D-Casework and 2D-Casework Above. Draft em in like the "old" days. Plan representation, no interior elevations involved or 3d views

3D simple - basic blocks using simple stretchable families that you place, stretch move on. Gives you blocked out elevations and 3d views...no cabinet detail. Later, add 2d detail work to interior elevations instead of modeling them.

3D/2D simple - place counter top families that are stretchable like above...plan only use, then later add cabinets or blocks like above

All the Way - place specific cabinet families etc. for actual design work, more detailed layout work.

Let the design phases dictate how much effort you put in at the appropriate time...

Mike.68517
2004-06-23, 07:03 PM
Great... thanks for the multiple options!

Charles Francis
2004-06-23, 07:26 PM
Mike:
If you haven't picked up on it, the woodwork institute has a series of families premade for a large number of cabinets. These may be downloaded as can a catalogue showing 3d view of each type. Go to www.woodworkinstitute.com.

David Conant
2004-06-23, 07:38 PM
In general, Revit is designed to model things the same way they would be built. If you want to design a kitchen with counters and cabinets, you install those elements. For your design, you would install base cabinets, a countertop, and upper cabinets. The counter top as a solid item will hide the cabinets beneath. The cabinets above may not appear at first because they are above the view plane. To reveal things hidden below, switch the view to wire frame and use Linework to change the display of the previously hidden item to the line style you prefer. Then return to hidden line. To show things above the cut plane, raise the cut plane in a view's view range. You will see the overheads and can use Linework to bring them into view as well.You now have a model, not just a drawing. Interior elevations will show the installed casework and fixtures. Schedules will count the cabinets, counters, etc. 3D views will show the interior appearance. Attached are some views from a redesign (in progress) for my own kitchen. It's not yet finished documentation, but is an illustration of what a model rather than a drawing can deliver.

Mike.68517
2004-06-23, 07:42 PM
Thanks! That helps!

Taylor A
2004-06-24, 01:51 AM
I use a combination of solid model parts as a cabnet maker would manufacture them. I also use symbol lines to show the hidden lines to represent the carcase beyond.
To get the overhead cupboards to show I have an invisible Model Line in each component that extend thru the View Range>Cut Plane and the hidden symbol lines appear. The last trick I learnt previously from someone wanting to shown light fittings on the floor plan.