PDA

View Full Version : Shed roof top can only be vertical???

erikbjur
2006-11-08, 12:36 AM
I have a shed roof in which the entire roof is sloped in one direction. This is fairly common and I have been seeing more of this type of roof come through my office. Revit thinks that even though I picked square cut roof, that the top of the roof is going to be vertical at the end. See the attached picture. Revit Factory: We need the option to have the top of the roof vertical or square just like the bottom.

The attached picture shows an insulated panel roof that is supported by exposed Gluelam beams. The end of the roof needs to be square with the roof. Any idea how to do this???

tc3dcad60731
2006-11-08, 03:00 AM
I do alot of shed roofs for this one contractor and I will always show the existing and then the new shed roof. I will join the two so that it will appear in section like it is supposed to. As for a "floating" shed like what you are showing with the exposed beams..... I am not sure how to achieve what you want.

dhurtubise
2006-11-08, 01:08 PM
Use an inplace roof

tc3dcad60731
2006-11-08, 03:08 PM
Use an inplace roof

Can you clarify this for me?

truevis
2006-11-08, 03:13 PM
You can also make an in-place roof that's just a void which cuts your regular roof.

dhurtubise
2006-11-08, 03:31 PM
http://www.revitit.com/support/20061108-2/Issue/Issue.html
Hope this help

aaronrumple
2006-11-08, 04:05 PM
You can also create a "fascia" which extends the roof to the correct shape.

tc3dcad60731
2006-11-08, 06:12 PM
David - Thanks for the link. The video is great but I went to the homepage to see if i could download it and what else was there. Is this strictly in FRENCH??? Unfortunately that is not one of the 5 languages that I speak ;)

Aaron - that was a good tip. I actually learned some new things. I have been showing the existing and the new and then no certain sheets I will turn off the existing with filters.

erikbjur
2006-11-08, 06:14 PM
This is the workaround that I ended up doing that worked. Please note, it still sucks. There needs to be a way to control the cut of the top of the roof. I ended up using a void roof that was attached to each of the ends of the roof. For a complicated roof, this would be horrible. It still took about 20 minutes to figure out. Attached below is the final picture.

dhurtubise
2006-11-08, 07:26 PM
Sorry, my website is in french since i'm a ... well frenchie ;-)
At least the video was in english :-)

sbrown
2006-11-09, 01:43 AM
Did you try a roof by extrusion, instead of by footprint? I agree they need to fix this.

erikbjur
2006-11-09, 02:19 AM
I would have to set the roof to a reference plane, and then the only way to edit the roof would be to have a section cut (via and elevation) that was parallel to the slope of the roof. I ended up using a sweep of a void to cut the roof square at the top. Thanks for all the help and advice everyone. I really appreciate it.