PDA

View Full Version : Linewight control of hatches, or similar

ron.sanpedro
2006-11-09, 06:18 PM
I believe that Revit has no capacity to vary lineweight in a hatch (wishlist!), so I am wondering what people are doing to get dot and stipple patterns thick enough to read and plot well. My thought is the only real answer is to make a new PAT file with little circles in place of dots, so that the effect of a thicker lineweight in created. I am guessing that this will create a much heavier hatch from a performance standpoint, and we should use this approach sparingly. Is this the case, or not really worth worrying about? Or is there a better answer?

Thanks!
Gordon

aaronrumple
2006-11-09, 06:26 PM
I believe that Revit has no capacity to vary lineweight in a hatch (wishlist!), so I am wondering what people are doing to get dot and stipple patterns thick enough to read and plot well. My thought is the only real answer is to make a new PAT file with little circles in place of dots, so that the effect of a thicker lineweight in created. I am guessing that this will create a much heavier hatch from a performance standpoint, and we should use this approach sparingly. Is this the case, or not really worth worrying about? Or is there a better answer?

Thanks!
Gordon
You can gain some control by bumping up the lineweight of pen 1. This is used for hatching. If you still need a 0.003" line for other use - assign that to pen 2.

ron.sanpedro
2006-11-09, 06:31 PM
You can gain some control by bumping up the lineweight of pen 1. This is used for hatching. If you still need a 0.003" line for other use - assign that to pen 2.

I should clarify, we need to bump up the lineweight of one hatch, while not affecting any others. Thankfully this is a fairly unusual situation. It is not like the bad old autoCAD days where people spent crazy hours getting 10 lineweights into a detail drawing that the contractor would only spend 2 minutes ignoring ;)

Best,
Gordon

dhurtubise
2006-11-10, 12:55 PM
You can control lineweight in Filled Reigion, so for that particular issue place a filled region, go into properties and set the lineweight accordingly.

ron.sanpedro
2006-11-10, 05:14 PM
You can control lineweight in Filled Reigion, so for that particular issue place a filled region, go into properties and set the lineweight accordingly.

Bummer. This is actually a material pattern in a wall system, where we have two similar textures, one rougher than the other. And both are used a lot, in a very large building. It would require hundreds of filled regions, so I was hoping for a quick way to just thicken up the one pattern.
I think we are going to create a new hatch pattern, with really small lines where each dot is in the standard dot pattern. That should beef it up just enough. But it sure would be nice to have independent lineweight control of hatch patterns in materials. Another place I can see using it would be when I have two different kinds of lap siding, with the same exposure, but one siding is doubled up. By doing the doubled up siding in a thicker lineweight you get the look of a wider shadow line, as well as differentiation in the elevation for noting purposes.
Someday.

Best,
Gordon