PDA

View Full Version : "An error has occurred while drawing the contents of this window. This window . . ."

Dean Camlin
2006-11-09, 08:55 PM
. . . shall be closed."

I have a file in which I am receiving this error message whenever I try to open certain views. I'm certain it is due to a corrupted AutoCAD drawing that has been imported into these views. Before I contact customer support (and get charged for the call), does anyone know of a way to delete the bad import without opening the view?

Chad Smith
2006-11-09, 09:09 PM
It seems to be an error that has happened to a few of us already, see here (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=45955).

Wes Macaulay
2006-11-10, 12:07 AM
Turn OpenGL off then give it another go

DanielleAnderson
2006-11-10, 12:34 AM
Turn OpenGL off then give it another go

Yep - I was getting that error all the time with OpenGL open. I turned it off and all is well now.

dbaldacchino
2006-11-10, 03:50 AM
I'd try leaving OpenGL on and reduce the hardware acceleration first. It typically cures the problem and you don't sacrifice the improvements that OpenGL offers.

Dean Camlin
2006-11-10, 10:59 AM
Thanks! That seems to work.

carlosb.101393
2006-11-10, 08:34 PM
I only turn the open GL when I using a lot 3D views or doing renderings, you can notice the difference on speed, otherwise at least on my computer floor plans with open GL are slower and also I get the same message as you did.

Martin P
2006-11-12, 08:37 PM
I get this message quite regularly - If I do a "close all hidden windows" the try it again, it always works the second time, in my case it seems to be related to having too many open windows in the background. I am half planning to create a mini macro using the strokeit software I use to automatically close all hidden windows every time I execute maybe a zoom window command.

Dean Camlin
2006-11-12, 10:00 PM
In this case, Martin, it really does seem to be isolated to the OpenGL setting. Since I turned that off I haven't suffered any more of those pesky messages.

Andre Baros
2006-11-12, 10:41 PM
I've also found this to be OpenGL related, but updating video drivers solves the problem and lets you keep the OpenGL. At least that was the case with the latest nVidia drivers.

abink
2006-11-14, 12:07 AM
It seems clear to everyone, but I can't find how to switch off OpenGL in the Revit Help - how does that work?

Thanks,
Axel

UpNorth
2006-11-14, 01:48 AM
Settings menu --> Options --> Graphics tab

BillyGrey
2006-11-14, 04:30 PM
I just bought a brand new core 2 duo rig with all the tomatoes and onions and I get this message allot. I thought it was a bug related to 9.1 because previously I had not seen it.
I was running a gigantic desktop replacement (3ghz p4, 2ghz ram) which I couldn't even run Revit's open GL feature without a psychedelic trip happening before my eyes. Same thing with my computer before that. In other words, it's been years since I turned this feature on.

Forgive me, but this feature, after how long, still does not function properly (on latest gen hardware)? I would be embarrassed.

Somebody, please hand me a pair of rose colored glasses...

Andre Baros
2006-11-14, 06:12 PM
All our new machines have nvidia quadro fx3500's and turning OpenGL on provides improvements in all graphic functions, especially shadows, 3d views, panning and zooming.

On some of our older machines (all various generations of quadro) we had OpenGL issues with 9.1 before we upgraded the drivers but have not had any problems with the latest drivers.

I wouldn't use OpenGL without a good OpenGL graphics card.

DanielleAnderson
2006-11-14, 06:13 PM
Somebody, please hand me a pair of rose colored glasses...

8) :Oops: That's as close as I could get.

Back to the topic though: is there a graphics card out there that doesn't cause this error? A particular brand? Memory quantity?

Wes Macaulay
2006-11-14, 08:27 PM
8) :Oops: That's as close as I could get.

Back to the topic though: is there a graphics card out there that doesn't cause this error? A particular brand? Memory quantity?ATI FireGL cards -- the base models are fine (V3100 / V3200). Cheap and work very well with all Autodesk products. It looks like nVidia is beginning to work out the kinks between their drivers and Revit too, which is good news.

DanielleAnderson
2006-11-14, 08:33 PM
ATI FireGL cards -- the base models are fine (V3100 / V3200). Cheap and work very well with all Autodesk products. It looks like nVidia is beginning to work out the kinks between their drivers and Revit too, which is good news.

Thanks Wes,
I am looking at replacing our home computer and want to make sure that it can run revit if it needs to. ;)

abink
2006-11-14, 09:05 PM
Thanks, UpNorth!

cporter.207875
2009-03-03, 03:01 PM
O.K., I see this thread is old, but apparently still relevant. I have one file that continues to get this error message in one particular view, Lighting Floor Plan. I have turned off OpenGL but to no avail. Any other options for RME 2009?

Wes Macaulay
2009-03-03, 04:49 PM
Audit your file -- you may have a corrupt object.
Try creating a new view of the area, as sometimes views get corruptedCheers

Andre Baros
2009-03-03, 05:05 PM
I had this issue once related to lights which were upgraded by 2009. The solution was to cut the lights and then "paste aligned" back to the same place. This recreated the lights and solved the issue... though I had to do it seperately for each ceiling hosting lights.

G_J
2009-03-17, 11:08 PM
We have just experienced this problem and the way round it we found was to simply "double click" on the .rvt file to open it, rather than opening Revit first.

Regards