PDA

View Full Version : 2D Details in Drafting Views

sleimgruber06
2006-11-09, 09:07 PM
I will be training some of the guys in our office today on how to create 2d details in Revit. These guys are new to Revit so we do not want them to be messing with the model.

My first thought has been to have them create the callouts and wall sections, then create dwfs of those callouts or sections at the appropriate scale; then have them import those dwfs back into the New Drafting View...

What do you think?
Any suggestions??

TIA,

aaronrumple
2006-11-09, 09:17 PM
Wouldn't do it that way. I'd would:

Show them how to make a drafting view. (and knowing your office how to set the view type and extra parameters you use.)
Show them how to place 2D drafting details.
Show them how to use repeating details.
Show them how to use filled regions with restraint.
Show them how to do linework with restraint.
Show them how to group details to repeat at other locations in the project.
Show them how to cut a detail off the model and finish it with detailing. (The wall styles your office uses are not well suited for detailing over the model.)
Show them how to take a detail off the model and draft over it as a background and then turn off the model.
I wouldn't even show them import export as they will use that as a crutch.

Scott D Davis
2006-11-09, 09:23 PM
Plus, DWFs don't come back into Revit yet...only marked up views of the DWF from Composer come back into the Revit model.

Have them create the views and then drat over the top using all the detailing tools and families in Revit.

sleimgruber06
2006-11-09, 09:26 PM
Plus, DWFs don't come back into Revit yet...only marked up views of the DWF from Composer come back into the Revit model.

Have them create the views and then drat over the top using all the detailing tools and families in Revit.
Sorry, I meant DWGs...

ron.sanpedro
2006-11-09, 09:39 PM
I think users are better off learning from the very beginning that this is a team sport, and you MUST play by the rules. Until I believe someone fully understands that, I don't want them working on a team Revit project. It really is that big a deal. At the same time, most people are pretty smart, and if you explain to them to gravity of the situation, most people will get it and be fine. So it isn't such a problem.

But finding a technical workaround to try to address either real or suggested lack of skill, understanding or training is not the answer. This is a hard thing for Management to understand, after years of taking totally new people, throwing them untrained on AutoCAD, and having them make a mess of their own work. Now it doesn't work any more, 'cause they can make a mess of everyone's work.
Personally I think it is good for the profession. Maybe we will start mentoring people again. I am convinced that someone 2 years out of school in a Revit based office is going to know a LOT more about how buildings work than someone 2 years out of school in an AutoCAD based office.

Gordon

aaronrumple
2006-11-09, 10:04 PM
Personally I think it is good for the profession. Maybe we will start mentoring people again. I am convinced that someone 2 years out of school in a Revit based office is going to know a LOT more about how buildings work than someone 2 years out of school in an AutoCAD based office.

GordonVery good point.

I'd still never show a new user that they can import AutoCAD. As soon as the know that - that's all they will do. Soon you'll have a file bloated with AutoCAD line styles, hatch patterns, ghost dwgs, and more font styles than you can count.

sleimgruber06
2006-11-09, 11:27 PM
Very good point.

I'd still never show a new user that they can import AutoCAD. As soon as the know that - that's all they will do. Soon you'll have a file bloated with AutoCAD line styles, hatch patterns, ghost dwgs, and more font styles than you can count.
Thanks for your input gentlemen, unfortunately we had techincal issues and were unable to follow through with the presentation and training session.

ford347
2006-11-10, 01:25 AM
Just thought I'd chime in. Detailing in Revit is the easiest and most efficient part of the system for a new user from my perspective. Detail components are quick and easy to make, lines are easy to define and draw, with all the cool tools in revit like the align tool, temp dims, detail components etc., detailing couldn't get any faster in my opionion. It really does leave the time in thinking about what you are drawing rather than thinking about how to draw it. And, if you partner up those new detail components with a good keynote database, then you just point and click, rarely any typing with the exception of those 'special' conditions. I would really focus on getting your people detailing in Revit. I'm sure any problems you have can be answered through the forums very quickly and there's always the detail guru to go to, ....Scott Davis;) He has done some pretty impresive presentations at AU on this subject and I'm sure you could track it down and show your people some methods from that. My 2 cents.

Josh