PDA

View Full Version : Spread a single view across multiple sheets.

eric.anastas
2006-11-10, 04:35 PM
Is there a way to spread a view across multiple sheets? For instance I want to plot at a certain scale, but at that scale my building is to big to fit on the paper. So I want to print a plan across two sheets with a match line. However, I'd rather not have to mangage annotations, and view properties between two seperate views.

Eric

aaronrumple
2006-11-10, 04:42 PM
Is there a way to spread a view across multiple sheets? For instance I want to plot at a certain scale, but at that scale my building is to big to fit on the paper. So I want to print a plan across two sheets with a match line. However, I'd rather not have to mangage annotations, and view properties between two seperate views.

Eric
Not a single view. However, you are really not managing two sets of annotation - just the annotation for each which is specific to that view. So that isn't really a big issue.

As for view properties - just use a view template.

eric.anastas
2006-11-10, 05:52 PM
Is there a way to link the properties of each view in anyway then? I know you can apply a view template, but is there anyway you can link a view template?

Eric

aaronrumple
2006-11-10, 06:08 PM
Is there a way to link the properties of each view in anyway then? I know you can apply a view template, but is there anyway you can link a view template?

Eric
I'm not sure I understand the question. Once you assign the same view template to each, all you have to do is select the view and apply the default view template. The setting stored in the properties panel will then be applied. A subtle note - once that field is filled out, applying a different template doesn't reset what has been defined as the default view template. So just reapply the default template setting to all views before printing an the whole project is reset.

comhasse
2006-11-10, 09:25 PM
I'm not sure I understand the question. Once you assign the same view template to each, all you have to do is select the view and apply the default view template. The setting stored in the properties panel will then be applied. A subtle note - once that field is filled out, applying a different template doesn't reset what has been defined as the default view template. So just reapply the default template setting to all views before printing an the whole project is reset.

I think what Eric means is this: When you change the settings of a template, all the views this template has been previously applied to should automatically update the changes. I have this on my wishlist myself. I think it would consistent with Revit philosophy of instant update. Logically then, the assigned template should be a view property (in the view properties dialog). We then wouldn't have to worry about manually updating views before printing. This would also allow the user to check which template is currently applied to a view and rid the program of the right-click:"assign template" command, which seems oddly inconsistent with the rest of the UI's logic. This would be analogous to the way Revit pools a number of material properties that can also be set individually in a material style. Therefore i would suggest to call the view templates "view styles" instead.

Michael

aaronrumple
2006-11-10, 09:36 PM
Logically then, the assigned template should be a view property (in the view properties dialog). This would also allow the user to check which template is currently applied to a view and rid the program of the right-click:"assign template" command, which seems oddly inconsistent with the rest of the UI's logic. Yes, having the view templates "sticky" has been a long standing request.

However, your request to have the view template as a view property has been there since the creation of view templates. (Identity Data: Default View Template)

As I said - this is set the first time you apply a view template and select something other than <Default>. Subsequent assignments using the apply template dialog do not overwrite this property (so in this respect it is sticky). Applying <Default Default View Template> restores the setting in the view property dialog. If no template is assigned - no change will be applied.

The whole project can be updated by creating a browser view filter which does no sorting or filtering. This will let you select every view in a project and then use one right-click apply to update all views.

I can understand not having the views update every time a template is applied. Other users might be working and have toggled items on or off to work and user a would end up changing user b's settings. However I think most agree that the settings should be automatically reapplied as Revit prints.