PDA

View Full Version : DWGs, Site and shared coordinates issues

dbaldacchino
2006-11-13, 10:21 PM
I've finally delved into site work in Revit and trying to understand shared coordinates.

I'm not sure if this is just how it works or not, but it seems odd to me. I placed the site dwg in my Revit project file under the building and rotated my project north accordingly. I recorded this location in the dwg file. I tested out if this worked by removing the site dwg and re-linking it back by shared coordinates and it landed in the proper location. So far so good.

Then I started a site project, linked this into my building project and shared coordinates to the site project. I went to the site project and linked my building in it. Then I linked the site dwg into the site view only (in the site project), by shared coordinates. It did not land in the proper location. But when I link it in all views (unchecking the "current view only" checkbox), it lands in the proper position. What's up with that?

Also, when trying to build a topo from imported, it only finds the linked file if it is linked in all views (thus being a "model" element which can be placed on user-defined worksets). If it's just in one view (assigned to the view workset), it won't find it. Is this how it's supposed to be and why? Thanks.

dbaldacchino
2006-11-17, 03:49 AM
I got a response back from Adsk and it seems that the current implementation is such that it only works with linked dwgs inserted in ALL views. When the dwg is linked to the current view only, some instability issues could occur and the Revit developers have removed this functionality for the time being. So keep that in mind as it's not currently documented.

Wes Macaulay
2006-11-17, 01:43 PM
Wow -- really good to know, David. I'll add this to the Known Issues forum.

With regards to the building a topo from a DWG, Autodesk has confirmed (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?p=572179)that it must be a model element so users can confirm the elevation of the DWG before building a terrain model from it.

Cheers