PDA

View Full Version : How to get multiple area calculations?

patricks
2006-11-14, 07:29 PM
I have a single-story building with multiple spaces, and I need to get various area calculations from combinations of areas. For example, I need to make several groups of spaces and get an area for each. I also need an area of the overall building. I also need areas of various other combinations of spaces.

So how can I accomplish this, being that area boundaries are model lines? If I try to duplicate my area plan view, or create a new view on the same level, the same model lines are still there. If I try to change the lines it changes in all my area views and screws up my other readings. Ideas?

Dimitri Harvalias
2006-11-14, 07:51 PM
You have a couple of alternatives.

You can create different area schemes (see the help file and search this forum for help in that regard) or
You can add a parameter(s) to the area objects you already have and then sort/group/filter your schedule to suit.
If the actual area boundaries for the spaces don't change and you're just grouping different sets of spaces together I'd go with the second option so you don't have to redraw boundaries.

patricks
2006-11-14, 07:54 PM
I do need different area boundaries for each.

Here's what I have: a furniture store with a large showroom, various offices, and a large warehouse (larger than the showroom). I want to know the area of the showroom, the area of the offices, and the area of the warehouse.

I also want to know the area of the showroom plus the offices together.

I also want just one area object reporting the entire building. I need this as a single object because I also need to know the building perimeter, which area objects will report. But if I have other area lines for the offices, etc. then I can't get an area object to report the area (and perimeter) of the entire building.

patricks
2006-11-14, 08:17 PM
I just tried creating different area schemes, but in all schemes I need the area lines to go to the outside face of exterior walls when the area lines make a closed loop. It seems like this only happens on the default Gross Building scheme. Is there any way to control the behavior of these area lines?

Joef
2006-11-14, 08:33 PM
You can draw your own area boundary lines anywhere you like. Just make sure that as you are drawing them you uncheck the box "apply area rules". There is probably a way to tell the program to automatically draw the boundary line to the outside or inside of a wall, but I never trust it and always draw my own.

Joe