PDA

View Full Version : Help! Beams attaching to walls

A3D
2006-11-15, 04:39 PM
Is there a way to stop structural framing from attaching to walls?
Things I tried:
- using worksets (separate walls and structure)... no good
- hiding the wall when trimming the beams... no good
- unjoining the beam... no good
- dragging beam ends... no good
- editing the beam family... no good

Did anyone find a solution to this?

Note: Also, when a beam attaches itself to the wall, the analytical model goes wrong (the lines don't meet anymore).
It is a very important matter because of this it is impossible to model even the most elemental RC structure.

FREE BEER for the chap who manages to give me a working solution for this :) (That is when he/she comes to Barcelona).

Thanks

Scott D Davis
2006-11-15, 04:45 PM
did you change the wall properties "Structural Usage" to Non-Bearing?

A3D
2006-11-15, 04:53 PM
Hi Scott,
Thanks for early reply.
All the walls are non-bearing by default and I would like to keep it that way because I model a RC structure (RC columns + RC beams + Floors)

nandini
2006-11-16, 08:45 AM
you are going the right way by isolating the beams for trimming them. but while trying to trim them, observe closely that when you select a column, at the end points, you have a dot and an arrow...you cannot join the beams with pulling the dot constrain...do it with the arrow...it works.
good luck...and dont fret..revit can handle everything.

A3D
2006-11-17, 10:44 AM
Nandini thanks for answering.
However I can't see any arrow at the end of all my beams (they only show up sometimes).

Anyway I'm not concerned about the way the beams meet (I know they will meet improperly (image 1) and I'll have to create an in place family to fix it (image 2)). Tedious work but it keep the analytical model correct.

What is really annoying is the fact that if I move the wall, the attached end of the beam will follow. See attached rvt file.