PDA

View Full Version : Mullion Intersections

ktracy
2006-11-15, 08:20 PM
I have made a pretty basic curtain wall with horizontal and vertical mullions. I am trying to find a way to make them BOTH continuous, so there is no visible break at join (see attached). I can either make the horizontals continuous, or the verticals continuous, but there is a break in plan, elevation, or section depending on which I use.

Does anybody know a solution? I can use line work, but the issue is showing perspectives without breaks in the mullion.

Thanks,
KT

mcuevas
2006-11-15, 10:50 PM
How does it look in perspective? It seems to me if you were to build that in the real world, you would have to have the smaller mullion break at the intersection. Does that not look correct when you do that? Or are you not wanting a break line to show up at all no matter what view you are in?

chris.macko125036
2006-11-15, 11:29 PM
it looks like the horizontal is behind the vertical anyway, how would it not break at the vertical mullion?

DanielleAnderson
2006-11-15, 11:53 PM
I don't think you can get rid of all the break lines. The only thing I can think of to try is join geometry. If not, I think you may have to build the whole window custom the way you want it.

ron.sanpedro
2006-11-16, 12:04 AM
it looks like the horizontal is behind the vertical anyway, how would it not break at the vertical mullion?

I think he wants the part on the right to be continuous horizontally, while the part on the left is continuous vertically.

What I did was create one curtain wall with 9" vertical mullions, offset -2", and 5" horizontal mullions. So the right hand face of both mullions is flush, and I made the vertical mullions continuous. Then I made a second curtain wall, with a 3" continuous horizontal mullion, no border or vertical mullions, and an empty panel. So effectively just some floating continuous horizontal mullions Then I pulled the second system over to align correctly, and used the Linework tool to take out the joint between the inner and outer horizontal mullions in section. In plan the inner system disappears as the first horizontal mullion is above the cut plane. I also just used a rectangular profile for the inner horizontals, I could have made a profile with the notch as shown.

Does this get pretty close? I guess the question is, is there any way to just not schedule the inner curtain wall?

Gordon

mcuevas
2006-11-16, 12:13 AM
Well I guess no matter what you do you still have to use the linework tool to remove unwanted lines anyway. So it's really a matter of how much time you want to spend on the mullions, or if you are setting the view up to render.

ron.sanpedro
2006-11-16, 12:19 AM
Well I guess no matter what you do you still have to use the linework tool to remove unwanted lines anyway. So it's really a matter of how much time you want to spend on the mullions, or if you are setting the view up to render.

The thing is, as I understand the original request, the left side vertical will cut the left side horizontal, while the right side horizontal cuts the right side vertical. Since a single curtain wall treats both inner and outer section of mullion the same, I think you would have to build two curtain walls. If the mullions where the same depth inside and out you might be able to clean it up graphically, but with everything at different depths it gets a bit more wonky.
At least if I understand what the OP was trying to do.

Gordon

ktracy
2006-11-16, 09:10 PM
I think Gordon had the solution... I might have to use 2 separate curtain walls, one for the horizontals and one for the verticals. The verticals are butt-jointed at the exterior, so I think this would work well with an interior curtain wall having only verticals and empty panels, and the exterior cw having the glazing and the horizontals.

I am trying to avoid the condition shown in perspective here, as well as eliminate the need for additional linework.

Thanks for everybody's help.

Kevin