PDA

View Full Version : Get fence railing to follow site slope

Henry D
2004-06-24, 05:06 PM
Are there any tricks I can use to get a fence railing to follow the slope of the site?

beegee
2004-06-24, 10:32 PM
One possibility. Make a very thin floor slab ( 5 mm thick or whatever). Use slope arrows to define the levels and align it with the topo.

Create your railing using this floor as the host.

Not elegant, and could be difficult if you have a challenging site topo.

Henry D
2004-06-25, 01:12 AM
Thanks Beegee... I had a similar idea which was to make a very narrow and shallow ramp as the base and have it follow the site slope - the railing would then follow the ramp slope.

SCShell
2004-06-25, 01:54 PM
Hi there,

I have 3 methods depending on the fence/wall material:
1. Railing type fence - I use my sloping curbs (which are just 6" wide concrete floors with the slope arrow used to set slopes to match topo). I set my "floors" anywhere from 1" to 6" below the topo surface then use them as the railing host. When viewing it in 3D or Rendered views, the topo covers the host concrete. If it is really a difficult slope, and I still see some concrete sticking up, I go back and edit that one problem area.

2. Stucco wall types are easy. Simply set the bottom of the wall lower than the lowest point on your topo and edit the top of wall profile to match. Time consuming but effective. Usually I do stepped walls in order to match the topo.

3. Masonry wall types - I use stepped footings, just like the real world. That way, the grout joints and wall hts. look right.

Hope this helps
Steve Shell