PDA

View Full Version : surface area analysis

mhudson
2004-06-24, 05:18 PM
In our past AutoCAD life we would draw polylines around glazed surfaces of window elevations, for instance, and initiate the AREA command to get a square footage analysis of the area bounded by the polyline. I know there is an area analysis tool for floor plans in Revit, but is there a tool available to retrieve area analysis of an elevated surface?

aggockel50321
2004-06-24, 06:19 PM
One method

You can add a shared parameter to each window family & write a formula to calculate the glazed area for each window.

For instance using one of the rugi "all mfr's" windows, the formula would be:

( Width - 2 * SIDE SASH WIDTH ) * ( Height - TOP SASH HEIGHT - MIDDLE SASH HEIGHT - SILL SASH HEIGHT )
That parameter can then show up in schedules etc.

Steve_Stafford
2004-06-24, 06:38 PM
The short answer is NO. Sorry, it's a fairly common request, read THESE (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=1373&highlight=area+command)thoughts in the Wishlist forum. Add your voice to the many requesting such a feature.

There are a number of ways to achieve the information you want but they are more comprehensive than just a few clicks and "read" a value. Primarily using schedules and data associated with walls windows etc.

luigi
2004-06-24, 06:46 PM
I almost didn't answer this post, because I needed to think outside the box to find an answer. If Andrews' method doesn't work for you, and for some reason you really want to manually create a set of lines to figure out the area, I would suggest a work around :

1. In the apropriate view (any view) create drafting lines around the area required (you can draft many areas at once, if you have many different areas of glazing or what have you)

2. Then select the chain of lines (use tab to be quick) and make it a group, name it apropriately.

3. Copy the group, or groups, to clipboard

4. paste it in a plan view, you can even create a temporary plan for all area calculations (not area plan)

5. then use the property command and pick the chain of lines with the automatic lock option (use tab again to be quick) and then apply a tag to the property which shows SF (or what ever means of measurement)

you now need to just change the lines in the elevation and look at the plan and the area will be updated. The problem is that I found problems locking the lines to a window, it caused errors when I would change the window. Maybe it is the window I chose, I don't know.

Hope the time I spent to think about this will help in some way.....by no means think that I approve of going through these many steps for that, you should either add this tot he wishlist, or somebody to put on all the window (glass doors? Curtain wall's glass?) components a formula to calculate it.

mhudson
2004-06-25, 12:01 PM
thank you for the help

The thread of which Steve referenced to was quite interesting and hopefully insightful to Revit developers. I agree that further implication of 'on the fly' tools are needed in ANY drafting or modelling software. I associate this to using the architectural scale. I just want to lay down my scale on the drawing and make a quick inquiry at times.

On the other hand, the implication of a parameter in our window types would be quite useful and I appreciate the suggestion. But I think this was the point that Chad Smith was trying to make in the referenced thread - implicating the parameter in our existing families and making sure that this parameter is included in future families takes time and vigilance, particularly in a large firm like ours. It's very helpful to have a tool that I can use when the boss comes up to me and asks "how much square footage of free area air flow do we have at the cooling tower intake louvers?" or "what is the square inch area of the glazing in the fire rated door?". He doesn't want to hear that I have to take the time to 'set up a parameter'.

Thanks again and I will be sure to visit the wishlist forum.