PDA

View Full Version : Can you do a formula with a text field?

Calvn_Swing
2006-11-15, 11:28 PM
Is it possible to write a formula in Revit that uses a text parameter for input? I know how to make a text parameter say X if Y happens.

I want to have a text parameter control a yes/no parameter.

Y/N = If (Door Type (contains/=) F01, Yes, No)

I know you can use an Integer like this using NOT in the Yes/No parameters, but we don't use integers to define door types or frame types for instance. We like to use alpha-numeric text to cut down on mis-reads.

Thanks!

DaveP
2006-11-15, 11:56 PM
Sorry, but no.

Long-standing Wish List item

archjake
2006-11-16, 06:32 PM
Is it possible to write a formula in Revit that uses a text parameter for input? I know how to make a text parameter say X if Y happens.

I want to have a text parameter control a yes/no parameter.

Y/N = If (Door Type (contains/=) F01, Yes, No)

I know you can use an Integer like this using NOT in the Yes/No parameters, but we don't use integers to define door types or frame types for instance. We like to use alpha-numeric text to cut down on mis-reads.

Thanks!You would want to write a formula for a yes/no parameter to look at another parameter.

For example if a yes no parameter had this formula:
if PARAMETERa = 8

The result would return a yes if PARAMETERa was 8. It would return a No if it was anything else.

I don't think you can write a formula to look at text.

Hope that helps.

Calvn_Swing
2006-11-16, 06:46 PM
What I'll have to do is silly:

Have an Integer parameter.

1 = DT1
2 = DT2
3 = DT3
Etc...

I select that value and it will control both the text parameter for Door Type and for the Yes/No paramters. It is unfortunate you have to take that step.

One other thing I may try is having two schedule columns, One Text, One the Integer Parameter. The Text can hold DT, FT, AL, Whatever text we want. The Integer can then be selected appropriately next to the text. Not what we want, but might be a work-around until we can have text parameters as input for formulas.

Is there a way to define a set number of values for either a text parameter or an integer parameter so that you can't enter the wrong one?

Thanks!