PDA

View Full Version : Callouts: Floor Plan vs. Detail View

LarryG
2006-11-16, 08:34 PM
I feel I have a pretty good understanding of the difference between Floor Plan Callouts and Detail Views but I need a little help here. Can someone explain the issue illustrated in the attached image. Structural columns should always be dominate as they are in the Floor Plan Callout. In the Detail View Callout of the same components, the Structural Columns and the Wall both display in full - BAD!

Both views are set to Fine. Same results in 8.1, 9.0, and 9.1 using the Default template and structural columns that shipped with each version.

Can anyone explain how to correct the Detail Callout other than using the Join Tool?

Thanks,

ashuler
2006-11-16, 08:47 PM
I do not have the answer to your question, but I believe it has something to do with the column being joined (or unjoined) to the wall. It seems that a generic wall does not have this same effect on the column, but masonry or complex wall does.
I have run across this problem in the before and in the past I simply used a filled region to cover up the mess.
Good luck and let me know if you find a solution.

Adam

LarryG
2006-11-16, 11:41 PM
Thanks Adam.

In the process of sending the issue to Revit Support, I realized something else: Join the Wall and the Column and it looks fine - then unjoin them - now all views have the same problem. The only solution is to replace the column which takes you back to the original problem.

dbaldacchino
2006-11-17, 03:45 AM
Well, in actual construction your wall would stop on one side of the column and start again on the other. So I wouldn't keep the wall continuous; I'd interrupt it at the column.

LarryG
2006-11-17, 05:21 AM
I think I would join them before I would break the wall at every column. Consider a typical exterior wall situation where the column overlaps only a portion of the wall...breaking the wall doesn't solve the issue.

The condition is shown properly in Floor Plans and Floor Plan Callouts. I'm suggesting that the display of the condition in Detail Views is not appropriate, and I suspect, not intended.

Thanks for the input. Any other comments are appreciated.

aaronrumple
2006-11-17, 02:18 PM
I think I would join them before I would break the wall at every column. Consider a typical exterior wall situation where the column overlaps only a portion of the wall...breaking the wall doesn't solve the issue.

The condition is shown properly in Floor Plans and Floor Plan Callouts. I'm suggesting that the display of the condition in Detail Views is not appropriate, and I suspect, not intended.

Thanks for the input. Any other comments are appreciated.

I ran into some issues with columns just recently. There is a new parameter in columns family category and parameter's setting - "Show pre-cut in plan view". This may be having some effect on the column. I had one complex column cover that looked one way when it was joined and another way when it wasn't joined. If you copied a joined columns, it retained that look. If you placed or copied and unjoined column it had a totally different look. It could be that this new parameter has introduced a subtle bug. What is the cut height in the plan, detail view and the family?

I had another column where I had two plan views to look at the column at different heights. This column would come in with random cuts. Sometimes it would show the upper cut. Other times it would show the lower cut. Deleting the extra plan view in the family solved that issue.