PDA

View Full Version : Residential Roof

Jprisby
2006-11-16, 09:10 PM
I'm getting a little fed up with constructing complex residential roofs in Revit. I don't draw Georgians and with multiple slopes, overhangs, curves and changes in valley rafters the software seems way to restrictive. I have not found an easy way to join two roofs that are perpendicular gables where one ridge is higher than the other and I want to add a simple hip to the top of the lower ridge to fill the void and extend up the higher ridge. 'Join Roofs' has problems with everything I attempt. If someone has a good solution, to something along these lines, then please let me know!

Jim

Overconstrained
2006-11-17, 12:24 AM
You could check out the recent "ATP158 Mastering Roofs" course. It was very well presented and covered joining different height roofs as I remember.

Cheers,
Dean.

whittendesigns
2006-11-17, 05:20 AM
Are you talking about one of these little doohickey things?

I've done many, many complicated residential roofs. I've had a few tough ones, but Revit is able to handle it quite well. Just be lucky you didn't spend your money on SoftPlan like I did.

If this pic isn't what you had in mind, post something and I'll help you out as best I can.

sbrown
2006-11-17, 02:04 PM
Remember you can certainly draft your roofs in plan, then create the roof as segments, ie triangles of roofs following your lines. I would do this for really complicated roofs.

ford347
2006-11-17, 02:54 PM
'whittendesigns',

I've done a few of the types you posted there, but I just got it to work and got through it. What is your method of doing this? I'd like to document it and make sure it's a known. Know what I mean?!
Thanks
Josh

whittendesigns
2006-11-17, 04:26 PM
That one I posted was actually just a simple one. I made the roof line one plane and had an addition in the middle of the main wider than the main building itself. Just did a roof by footprint from there and it did it for me.

Personally, I don't like those little roof hip things (have NO idea what they're called). I usually lower my roof pitch to match the ridge or something...anything.

But if I ran into one I couldn't do in a single roof footprint, I would probably start with 2 roofs first. If the ridge continues over the lower roof, then I'd create a vertical opening first on the roof that's higher in elevation. Then I would edit the lower roof and add in the hip lines to match.

ford347
2006-11-17, 05:47 PM
Thanks a lot......we as rough framers have always just called it 'hipping back down'.........not to elegant, but it works. I appreciate the example!

Josh

whittendesigns
2006-11-17, 06:27 PM
I'm right there with you. I've been a framer for 20 years, just now making the transfer over.

ford347
2006-11-17, 07:08 PM
Great! Good to know I'm not alone!? :)

Josh

Fred Blome
2006-11-17, 11:13 PM
Remember you can certainly draft your roofs in plan, then create the roof as segments, ie triangles of roofs following your lines. I would do this for really complicated roofs.Once things get complicated I do the same. This roof for an addition has about 9 main segments, plus the eaves are modeled separately, and the existing was broken into remaining vs demo'd.

Fred Blome
2006-11-17, 11:23 PM
Another example of a remodel/addition. This is modeled with a combination of joined roofs, and where that didn't work easily, separate segments, like the cricket areas.

whittendesigns
2006-11-18, 12:28 AM
Very nicely done.

ford347
2006-11-18, 12:30 AM
Palo Alto! I'm finishing up a set of plans for a small addition in Los Altos right now. I love it down there! Wish I could move back. Those building depts are a peach to deal with;) Nice job BTW

Josh

whittendesigns
2006-11-18, 12:52 AM
LOL, you should try Maine. There are really no enforceable codes here not to mention most places still use the 1987 BOCA code book (that's not a typo). I've built homes with 2 pieces of 8½"x11" before. That's all most building departments need here. 3....well, they wouldn't know what to think! You're overdrawing it!

I just put in a set of stairs for a builder.....8-3/8" rise, 9" run. That's what he told me to do!

It boggles the mind.

Brian Myers
2006-11-18, 02:05 AM
It's also important to remember that all the elevations/angles are you friend. You might need to measure heights/roof pitches for each section of your roof as you construct different sections in order to determine either your pitch or slope arrow dimension for an adjoining roof section. It can take some time, but the more roofs you do the more it will make sense!

Fred Blome
2006-11-18, 06:40 PM
Palo Alto! I'm finishing up a set of plans for a small addition in Los Altos right now. I love it down there! Wish I could move back. Those building depts are a peach to deal with;) Nice job BTW

Josh
Los Altos is a great building department. You better talk to a few people before trying a job in Palo Alto or Woodside. GC's are known to add a Palo Alto or Woodside factor to their contracts. I have engineers that are no longer willing to do jobs in Palo Alto - it's not worth the hassle. Another engineer states in his contract that if a certain plan checker gets ahold of the plans, he goes strictly T&M to respond.

cdmdwgpe.67574
2006-11-25, 04:19 PM
I would like to jump in, from reading your inputs you seem to have a handle on roofs.
If anyone would be willing to help. I've jumped in over my head into 2007ADT form 2004 vanilla CAD. & frustrated as behind in get this out. Thinking I could handle, but spending to many hours. I'm just flat out missing something, or unskilled to get the correct approach.
Attached is a project I'm currently working, & can't figure how to join the roofs. I don't want and eyebrow. and I had to just extend to get the roofs to look some what correct. Also, in trying I made some roofs into roof slabs thinking that was the way to trim the eaves. The entire right half is a new roof (cutting off at the fireplace), the left is existing. then the Angled area and garage is new(this maybe useless input). I just need help w/ getting a project out nad understand how to do complex roofs (sorry).

David

whittendesigns
2006-11-25, 06:21 PM
I would be glad to help. Unfortunately I think you have the wrong forum. This is for Revit. I would make an attempt at it but it's in 2007 format which is not compatible with the cad that I have.

You aren't by any chance looking for someone to do it in Revit?

From the initial, what I can see (mines in wireframe) the main roof where it turns 45(?) you absolutely need to match the ridge there.

cdmdwgpe.67574
2006-11-28, 04:44 PM
I realized after the fact, so sorry. For some reason I just over looked as I typed in roofs and got interested in the responses w/o realizing I goofed. Thanks, it been trying to say the least. If I had a simpler project to start w/

Dave

tjhernacki
2007-12-20, 09:38 PM
I have not had many problems with the roofing thing and have not had a reason to join roofs here is a roof that has it all with two diferent slopes and multle gables. This thing only took 10 minuets, after I figured out the hight for the slope change and it is acurate to 1/8" when I sent it to the truss company they got it to 1/32" close enough for 'rough framing'
I did 'roof, by foot print' for the 3 12 and then on a new "level" did the 6 12

Timothy