PDA

View Full Version : Door tagging

kwong
2006-11-17, 12:36 AM
Hi all,
I need to tag my doors in sequence but unfortunately they've all been automatically given numbers and they're all over the place. Is there a way to delete all these numbers without going to each & every properties dialog box? Or is that asking too much? Thanks.
kwong

Justin Marchiel
2006-11-17, 12:38 AM
you could schedule them all and then renumber that way. you could add the to/from value to know where the doors are coming from or you could do a process of select/show and renumber that way.

i have a manual parameter for door numbering that relates to the room number and i use the above to have a cross reference schedule that i can use to renumber the door later in a job

Justin

aaronrumple
2006-11-17, 02:48 PM
Hi all,
I need to tag my doors in sequence but unfortunately they've all been automatically given numbers and they're all over the place. Is there a way to delete all these numbers without going to each & every properties dialog box? Or is that asking too much? Thanks.
kwong
Yes - you can blank out all the numbers. Select all the doors. Open the properties dialog. Enter a "-" in the mark property. Then delete the "-" leaving the doors unnumbered. (You may have to select doors in groups by family to get this done.)

I'm not sure what help this will be as you'll still have to go back and number them at some point.

With Revit, numbering doors based on room numbers makes a lot of sense to prevent overlapping numbers.

kwong
2006-11-19, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the tip Aaron - the reason I need to re number them is that in the process of adding, deleting and relocating doors, I ended up with doors ranging in numbers from 3 to 323 with quite a lot missing in between! Not sure how this can be avoided.

kwong

whittendesigns
2006-11-19, 01:21 PM
the easiest way to renumber is what jmarchiel-barch said. make a door schedule with your mark and renumber them there. they will renumber themselves on the floor plan accordingly.

ford347
2006-11-19, 02:35 PM
Also, if you find this is happening in every project, simply because you are using a template created from a previous project file, open up the template, place a door, renumber that door to 1, save the project, delete the door, probably save again and close the template. Now, next time you create a project from the template again, your door numbering sequence should start with one.

Josh

s.messing
2006-11-19, 06:22 PM
1. I too have found the most success by setting up a working door schedule and window tiling it with the plan(s) to make changes on the plan and schedule efficiently.

Also, if you find this is happening in every project, simply because you are using a template created from a previous project file, open up the template, place a door, renumber that door to 1, save the project, delete the door, probably save again and close the template. Now, next time you create a project from the template again, your door numbering sequence should start with one.
Josh 2. I've always wondered about the idea of an evolving template and am just beginning to feel comfortable with the process. My question: If you number a door 1 in the template and then delete it, won't the next door be 2? Can you number the first door 0 and delete it to get the number 1?

And (in case you want to rehash another discussion from the past that will certainly be brought up in the future):
3. I had a pretty heated debate with a PM at my firm who thinks Revit (and all other computer programs for that matter) are the devil. He, during one of his calmer moments, explained to me that no contractor cares about door swing by itself (for the to from feature) and therefore Revit should not care either. In other words, how we have been describing the "to from room" feature is completely off base (in his opinion). Instead, Revit doors should focus on the Action (of which there are 5 basic choices). This would certainly completely change the way the program reads the relationship between doors and rooms, and might be too big a fish to fry, but an interesting discussion none the less and certainly very eye opening to me as an aspiring architect.

ford347
2006-11-20, 05:02 PM
Maybe you should set this to zero for the first door number, good point. I'll play with it. As far as your other question regarding the door relationship, I'm assuming he is comparing the to from to the door hand?? As a framer myself, I care about the door opening and the swing, but as a GC and an active PM in the field, I also care about the to from because it is a communicative tool when discussing the building elements with other sub-contractors, suppliers, owners etc. All these diff. pieces of info are helpful when building out the project in my opinion.

Josh