PDA

View Full Version : How to create a network deployment from a downloaded version of the software

tim.101799
2006-11-17, 09:16 PM
I know how to create a network deployment when installing the software from the CD, but how do you do it when you download the software from the web?

Tim

Scott D Davis
2006-11-17, 09:47 PM
There's a checkbox during installation that says "Create Network Deployment" that needs to be checked.

dbaldacchino
2006-11-18, 04:25 AM
When we create a network deployment installation, we run into problems for installing the custom content. For example, if Office A creates the network deploy and places this onto local servers for offices B, C, D etc., the installation of the program runs from the local servers of each office, but the content installation goes over WAN from the server of the office that created the deploy, in this case office A. Has anyone run into this or have a solution?

JamesVan
2006-11-21, 04:41 PM
When I run the Revit installation and make the deployment package, I do not install content. The INI settings in the deployment are not flexible enough. I run the Revit deployment as part of a custom script that copies rendering content to the user's workstation and copies a custom Revit.ini file to their machine after the default installation.

An example is attached for reference. Please note you'll have to change the paths and other references in the BAT file before using it.

tim.101799
2006-11-21, 04:55 PM
When I run the Revit installation and make the deployment package, I do not install content. The INI settings in the deployment are not flexible enough. I run the Revit deployment as part of a custom script that copies rendering content to the user's workstation and copies a custom Revit.ini file to their machine after the default installation.

An example is attached for reference. Please note you'll have to change the paths and other references in the BAT file before using it.

Is it common that most people install the rendering content to the users work station on the revit content to a server share?

JamesVan
2006-11-21, 04:57 PM
Is it common that most people install the rendering content to the users work station on the revit content to a server share?
I can't say that it's common - just what we find to work best for our organization.

dbaldacchino
2006-11-21, 05:10 PM
Thanks a lot for posting that James. I've heard from our IT that to solve the issue we're having, we need to have a slightly different setup when creating these deploys (I believe it's something to do with DNS, so that the install will find the server closest to where the main installation is occurring and uses that instead...but am not 100% about the terminology as I'm not directly involved in this).

When I mentioned content, I meant all the help files and the pdf tutorials. Families and libraries are installed once on the network. What is happening for some reason is that the main program files will install from the office server, but the help and pdf tutorials will install from the original server where the deploy was created.

Scott D Davis
2006-11-21, 05:34 PM
How do you guys deal with a BAT file installation where no one in the company except IT has Admin or Power User rights to install anything? I've heard of Group Policy being used, and I've heard of running Scheduled Tasks (which can be run as an Admin on login?) but I don't know how to set up or implement any of these.

cphubb
2006-11-21, 06:38 PM
We would use the BAT file installation and during that we would copy a custom ini file to the directory. We also used it to copy keyboard shortcuts, and create backups of the .ini and shortcuts in hidden directories. Note that when you upgrade those 2 files are lost and keeping backups for the users prevents the inevitable crying after build and other unauthorized installations.

Scott, I used sitekeeper, a cheap network management system. ISA server would also work. Since it ships with SBS and most larger users have a copy it can overide the systems. Group policy also works but is complicated to setup and there is no way to control what the users install. I have tried to use the Run as in a batch file but it did not work. I don't think I wa doing it right.

dbaldacchino
2006-11-21, 06:39 PM
In our case, everyone can install software (it used to be that only admin could, but they removed that limitation due to other complications). We do use Group Policy to control which users have what rights. We used Scheduled Tasks for a while to install software (and using Systems Management, we could install through Add/Remove Programs from the network) but we discontinued that (was creating some problems, plus blanket installs were NOT popular). We're currently just running the msi from the network.

Simon.Whitbread
2006-11-21, 07:04 PM
I've heard of Group Policy being used... but I don't know how to set up or implement any of these.
Scott, it can be a bit of a mission, but one GP have been enabled, you can do away with the BAT file and go to VBS. The GP will override the user permissions, as the install is for the PC. I'd originally gone with a batch file, then got some help with the VBS part. Now thats done I can change it when necessary.
The attached shows our settings but its pretty easy to edit the file. If you need more on how the GP is set up, let me know - it would take some typing up, but would be worth the effort if it helps.

Simon

Scott D Davis
2006-11-21, 09:16 PM
Thanks guys! Simon, the VBS and GP may work for us....let me look into your VBS, and I'm sure I'll be contacting you for some help.

My IT has also talked about "SMS", which I assume is a Systems Management Server? How would this work?

I alos think Revit needs to start putting some settings in the User Profile, rather than Program Files\Revit so that individual users can have different keyboard shortcuts, and different "shortcut" paths in the Open dialog boxes. Our other problem is that all Program Files folders are Read-only on every computer, easch install i do manually at each computer, I have t reset the permissions on the Revit folder to allow users to access these adjustable items.

dbaldacchino
2006-11-22, 01:38 AM
I alos think Revit needs to start putting some settings in the User Profile, rather than Program Files\Revit so that individual users can have different keyboard shortcuts, and different "shortcut" paths in the Open dialog boxes. Our other problem is that all Program Files folders are Read-only on every computer, easch install i do manually at each computer, I have t reset the permissions on the Revit folder to allow users to access these adjustable items.
Agree 100%. And we need to start getting patch updates and not whole builds. We never get these installed because it becomes too time consuming.

We used SMS for a while. IT would run something and on my side, I would run some Actions. After a couple of minutes the software showed up as available for install in Add or Remove Programs, Add New Programs (Network). It installed blazing fast too. The only drawback is that you don't see anything happening so you're not sure if it's working. For some reason we're not using it anymore and we're going back to using Winstall, or in some cases just running an msi from the network.

Simon.Whitbread
2006-11-22, 04:21 AM
I also think Revit needs to start putting some settings in the User Profile, rather than Program Files\Revit so that individual users can have different keyboard shortcuts, and different "shortcut" paths in the Open dialog boxes.
I made some poll (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=34089)about this months ago, and a few people who replied didn't think it was a good idea...

Should be near top of the list IMHO

Simon.Whitbread
2006-11-22, 06:39 PM
For some reason we're not using it anymore and we're going back to using Winstall, or in some cases just running an msi from the network.
Unfortunately, and I know from experience, if the IT dept. has lots of work on, then testing the rollout of an application doesn't quite get to top of the list unless the MD / CEO starts shouting for it. So they go back to the easy option with a default install and let users / CAD managers / whoever, worry about pathing. What you need is a dedicated twit (I include myself) who does the testing / makes sure the whole deployment package works. THEN pass it to IT, who say 'thank you, we'll action it right away'.
I'm not TRYING to sound cynical - it seems this is the way of the world. We're all overworked when really we should be out fishing

tmomeyer
2007-08-25, 04:58 AM
JamesVan said, "When I run the Revit installation and make the deployment package, I do not install content."

We're rolling out Revit and I've done some searching/reading here. Fairly common comment seems to be not to install content. QUESTION: So... how do you know when a build is released if the content is modified or not? If I have this figured out, there is a link on Adsk's website to download SP2 'program' just released (as an example). When you run the install (if I figured this out) it will go back out to Adsk's website and grab content, correct? Or, maybe it won't if you checkmark network deployment in the install and clear all checkmarks for content. So, how do you know if content was modified or not if you clear (don't install) the content?

JamesVan said, "The INI settings in the deployment are not flexible enough. I run the Revit deployment as part of a custom script that copies rendering content to the user's workstation and copies a custom Revit.ini file to their machine after the default installation."

QUESTION: Why is the rendering content (is this the entire rendering folder ?) copied locally and not stored on the server in one central location? Is this to add speed to local rendering process so as not to bog down coming down from the server and tie up the network?

QUESTION: Why, if you're storing rendering content locally, how do you account for multiple people needing access to possibly customized local content?

JamesVan said, "An example is attached for reference. Please note you'll have to change the paths and other references in the BAT file before using it."

QUESTION: Can you post your current script for Revit Arch 2008 deployment?

JamesVan
2007-08-27, 09:12 PM
JamesVan said, "When I run the Revit installation and make the deployment package, I do not install content."

We're rolling out Revit and I've done some searching/reading here. Fairly common comment seems to be not to install content. QUESTION: So... how do you know when a build is released if the content is modified or not? If I have this figured out, there is a link on Adsk's website to download SP2 'program' just released (as an example). When you run the install (if I figured this out) it will go back out to Adsk's website and grab content, correct? Or, maybe it won't if you checkmark network deployment in the install and clear all checkmarks for content. So, how do you know if content was modified or not if you clear (don't install) the content?

Autodesk will usually tell you in their release notes whether or not content has been modified. It's a rare occurrence that content gets changed in a build release.

JamesVan said, "The INI settings in the deployment are not flexible enough. I run the Revit deployment as part of a custom script that copies rendering content to the user's workstation and copies a custom Revit.ini file to their machine after the default installation."

QUESTION: Why is the rendering content (is this the entire rendering folder ?) copied locally and not stored on the server in one central location? Is this to add speed to local rendering process so as not to bog down coming down from the server and tie up the network?

Exactly. We haven't found a nice way to centralize materials in an efficient way to allow sharing of common, standard materials and manage custom materials.

QUESTION: Why, if you're storing rendering content locally, how do you account for multiple people needing access to possibly customized local content?

I guess this works for us because we use MAX for rendering, not Accurender+Revit.

JamesVan said, "An example is attached for reference. Please note you'll have to change the paths and other references in the BAT file before using it."

QUESTION: Can you post your current script for Revit Arch 2008 deployment?

We don't use that script anymore because the deployment creation utility has been revamped in Revit 2008. The only thing it doesn't do is recognize that you're installing a new build with the deployment. You have to remove Revit 2008 first before running the deployment again. The following code will remove Revit Architecture 2008 and launch the deployment package:

msiexec /x {4A11206C-4377-49E8-911E-B11548658FF3} /qn
call \\server\RevitArch2008_0607\AdminImage\Setup.exe \\server\RevitArch2008_0607\AdminImage\DeploymentName.ini

NOTE: Change the code in the second line to point to the server location where you've built your deployment and change the INI file to match your deployment name. Paste the above code into Notepad and save it as a BAT file.