PDA

View Full Version : General Exterior Wall Question

olson
2006-11-19, 07:30 PM
See attached image. I am rebuilding a residential project for training purposes and i have a question about exterior walls and finishes. if you look at the attached section my siding runs up past the second floor to the second floor window sill. Two quesions here.....how are you modeling the walls. Is it one wall from main floor to top plate of building or wall to floor then wall to roof like you were framing the building in the field. That being said for my siding issue would one use stacked walls? I have read mixed reviews of stacked walls. I guess i am saying i understand the ways to get what i want i just dont know the best one. Thanks.

CGM
2006-11-19, 08:41 PM
...i understand the ways to get what i want i just dont know the best one. Thanks.Hi Olson,
Hang in there I'm sure plenty of knowledgeable Reviters will be along during the week to give you some proper answers. In the mean time check out this thread which touches on the subject.

aggockel50321
2006-11-19, 09:41 PM
Try this:

On wood framing run the exterior walls floor to floor, have the floor extend out to the exterior face of the stud, which I also use as the core boundry, and then attach the walls to the floors, as it would in platform framing.

Then edit the wall, and in the preview section window of the wall, unlock the exterior substrate and siding layers at the base of the exterior wall.

You can then select the exterior walls sitting on a floor, and set their base extension distance (found in the wall's properties dialog) to match the floor thickness.

That way, once cut in section, everything aligns correctly.

On the top of a foundation wall, you can set a plate, then your floor, and then set the base extension distance to drop, say an inch below the top of the foundation wall, covering both the floor and plate.

whittendesigns
2006-11-19, 09:44 PM
I separate my walls then join geometry to get rid of the line on the elevations. For my floor level I use a wall for my rim board. I reduce the thickness of the core to 1½" for nominal lumber (1¼" for TJI's) and attach ply and siding to the exterior and leave off the gyp on the inside.

Is that your drawing? Lines look heavy.

whittendesigns
2006-11-19, 09:54 PM
Then edit the wall, and in the preview section window of the wall, unlock the exterior substrate and siding layers at the base of the exterior wall.

You can then select the exterior walls sitting on a floor, and set their base extension distance (found in the wall's properties dialog) to match the floor thickness.

On the top of a foundation wall, you can set a plate, then your floor, and then set the base extension distance to drop, say an inch below the top of the foundation wall, covering both the floor and plate.I sure would like to see a screen shot of that. I can't find what you're saying. If it's easier than what I've been doing, I'd sure like to know.

aggockel50321
2006-11-20, 01:19 PM
Attached are some screenshots. On each of the 3D views, I set one wall's base extension distance to 0 to better illustrate what's going on.

hth

whittendesigns
2006-11-20, 03:23 PM
Ah, the 4th one did it for me. Select modify, then you can select the base of your ply and siding. Excellent! Thank you! Should be placed in the tip section.

Scott D Davis
2006-11-20, 04:58 PM
another "trick": If you attach a wall base to a floor, and the exterior finish layers extend beyond the foundation, you can then draw a Ref Plane in elevation and attach the wall base a second time to the ref plane and it will extend the layers to the plane, without having to go through the process to unlock layers.