PDA

View Full Version : New and Existing wall Join?

Maximillian
2006-11-21, 05:50 AM
or lack there of...

I cant seem to figure out how revit wants to join or not join new and existing walls. There seem to be some kind of artifacts after the wall joins. Or they don't join and the lines kind of overlap in a non-consistent way..... Any guidance on wall joins in general or related to N & E would help.

see attached..

Scott D Davis
2006-11-21, 05:56 AM
where you know walls are not supposed to join, like a new wall hitting the face of an existing wall, you should right-click on the blue control dot at the end point of the wall. Select Disallow Join. Now the end of that wall can be positioned with precision and it will not automatically try to 'snap' to the center of another wall. You could then make the end of the new wall right against the face of the existing wall.

pirwin.158624
2008-10-22, 09:29 PM
Is there a way to tell Revit to automatically disallow a join between a new and existing wall? This is causing all sort of warnings in the model that are needless and it is very tedious to have to repeatedly disallow joins.

tomnewsom
2008-10-23, 09:44 AM
Is there a way to tell Revit to automatically disallow a join between a new and existing wall? This is causing all sort of warnings in the model that are needless and it is very tedious to have to repeatedly disallow joins.
No, there isn't, and believe me I feel your pain :(

azmz3
2008-10-23, 05:07 PM
if you go into the element properties of the wall you want to be shown as existing, and change it in there, then it will not join with a wall created as new construction, like in the example shown here, the wall on the left is existing, and the wall on the right is new.

pirwin.158624
2008-10-23, 05:12 PM
Where in the element properties do I change it?

azmz3
2008-10-23, 06:45 PM
it is located in element properties, under Phasing. there is a drop down box that lets you select the phase for the wall. take a look in the pdf i attached to see where it is.

pirwin.158624
2008-10-23, 06:52 PM
I think that I misunderstood your previous post. The walls are all made on the correct phase. The issue I'm having is that the walls created in the "new construction" phase are joining to walls created in the "existing phase" and I am looking for a way to tell revit that I never want a wall created in "new construction" phase to to join with a wall created in "existing" phase.

azmz3
2008-10-23, 08:54 PM
Ah, Yeah, I dont think to tell it to never join these two wall types, you will always have to change it in element properties.

pirwin.158624
2008-10-24, 01:42 PM
That's what I figured. Thanks for your help! I guess this is something to add to the next edition of Revit wishlist.