PDA

View Full Version : siteplan without toposurface

Justin Marchiel
2006-11-22, 07:38 PM
I am curious how everyone is doing siteplans without doing a topo surface. is everyone just using drafting lines to represent sidewalks and roads?

WIth a topo surface in place i would use subregions, but it is too much to create the topo surface at this point.

Thanks

Justin

Justin Marchiel
2006-11-22, 08:24 PM
to add a little more to the discussion i tried a topo surface that was flat, just so i could add a subregion. I have some phasing of a parking lot so i thought this would make sense to show the different sub regions on the topo surface. but egads i found that you can't have a subregion on a different phase then the topo. so i would have to have 2 surfaces.

Has anyone else experienced this situation? how do you handle phases and subregions?

Thanks

Justin

petervanko
2006-11-22, 08:52 PM
Unfortunately I think the answer is similar to a similar discussion: copy the entire thing out and use filters or worksets to manage it.

I have never done a siteplane w/o one...I'm one of those people who really likes Revit's site tools. Typically I import an ACAD siteplan and use the "pick line" to trace subregions. In my opinion, even the flattest site can benefit from the topo.

Justin Marchiel
2006-11-22, 09:31 PM
I agree with the flat topo idea, but as i mentioned, it seems that i can't benefit from using phases on the same toposurface.

Justin

Chad Smith
2006-11-22, 10:03 PM
to add a little more to the discussion i tried a topo surface that was flat, just so i could add a subregion.This is the way I do it, using a flat topo and subregions. Everything else is 2D linework. I find it far more efficient and quicker than stuffing around with a 3D site. I hope they improve these site tools soon :roll:.

aggockel50321
2006-11-22, 10:14 PM
As to site boundries, I tend to do them with detail lines. Then when defining subregions on a topo, I'll snap to these lines when in the subregion sketch mode, using the pick option. That way I avoid those ugly "subregions cannot overlap" error messages. Subregions come in handy when trying to find the area of a drive, sidewalk, etc.

You can get them to schedule in a topo schedule, but have to do some manual entry of their subregion types in an available field(i.e: Name), or you can add a shared project parameter, and then filter out the other topo surface(s).

As for phasing, they have to follow the topo. You can get around that by demolishing the topo in the previous phase, and then cut/paste the same topo to the new phase.

bowlingbrad
2006-11-22, 11:41 PM
We use model lines, put them on their own level and also on their own workset. Seems to work well for us...

Justin Marchiel
2006-11-23, 01:54 AM
good suggestion.

did you know that that was your 911 post? swooping in to save the day?!

Justin