PDA

View Full Version : Spot Elevations

kwong
2006-11-23, 03:51 AM
Hi all,
I have a floor slab which has a finish layer & a structure layer and in my plan I want to have a spot dimension for the strucural slab level as well as the finish floor level. Spot dimensions don't seem to recognise anything but the finish layer (in plan) is that right? Can anyone help? Thanks.
kwong

christo4robin
2006-11-23, 05:15 AM
I handle this with two separate floor objects - the structural floor and then the finish floor. If both floor objects are already created, I simply hide the finish floor object, spot dim the structural floor, reset temporary hide/isolate, and voila! Spot dim is accurate to the structural floor elevation. Goes with the adage, "model it like you'd build it".

kwong
2006-11-23, 06:47 AM
Thanks Chris, I did that, but is there a way to hide the finish floor if I want to have a concrete setout plan & section where I just want to see the concrete slab? I can think of creating a generic model as a floor & giving it a subcategory so that it can be turned off. Any ideas?
Thanks.
kwong

Dimitri Harvalias
2006-11-23, 09:58 AM
Filters, worksets, view specific graphic overrides... any number of ways to control this stuff. It depends on the project and how much you need to do this.

truevis
2006-11-23, 11:27 PM
...I have a floor slab which has a finish layer & a structure layer and in my plan I want to have a spot dimension for the strucural slab level as well as the finish floor level. Spot dimensions don't seem to recognise anything but the finish layer (in plan) is that right?...Perhaps: Drill a little hole (with a void or something) down to the depth you want and spot dim the bottom of the hole.

HawkeyNut
2007-07-16, 04:24 PM
We're currently going through the same issue with commercial roofs. We have a rigid insulation on metal deck roof type which we would like to dimension to the top of metal deck rather than the insulation. Spot dimensions don't seem to allow (or recognize) dimensioning to the core. It would be nice if one could sub-categorize the layers in the roof so that insulation could be turned off in certain views, but I don't think that is possible. The only options I see is to not model the insulation (which means adding it graphically in sections) or to create two separate roofs on top of each other (which almost never results in a 'clean fit').

I would love to hear what other people are doing with regards to this issue...