PDA

View Full Version : Attaching walls to floors with nonstructural layers

radu.grosu
2006-11-23, 01:55 PM
I have this problem - when my floors have nonstructural layers (with functionality set to air/substrate/finish) the attached walls sometimes stop to the bottom most layer instead of going trough. And even if they sometimes behave correctly (go all the way up to the structural layer of the slab) they only do so partially - they go through in section but in elevation or 3D they look every time as if they would attach to the bottom most layer of the slab. Has anybody experienced this and knows a way to make it work correctly? Thanks.

Justin Marchiel
2006-11-23, 04:20 PM
can you post the families? you are right that they are not working properly. does it do the same thing in a different file?

Justin

radu.grosu
2006-11-24, 03:18 PM
The families I use are a simple generic wall and a normal concrete slab to which I add a thermal insulation layer of 5cm set to "thermal/air", and sometimes 15cm of gravel set to "substrate". I found out today that this looks bad also in section, if the section is parallel to the wall and goes right through it. I really think this is a bug and I don't know why there aren't any complains in this matter.
I forgot to say, this happens in every project..

roy.70844
2006-11-24, 03:24 PM
It is unlikely to be a bug as we have had no problems with walls / floors. I suspect a problem with core boundaries.

Could you post a small project that shows the problem.

posting the families will be difficult as both walls and floors are system families and can not be saved independently of a project.... can't believe you missed that Justin :-)

Roy

Justin Marchiel
2006-11-24, 04:14 PM
sorry. i was thinking about all the turkey that you american where eating and not thinking clearly

Justin

dbaldacchino
2006-11-24, 06:40 PM
Why are you referring to Roy as "you American"? He's from South Wales, UK! I think Justin's having a bad day :)

Justin Marchiel
2006-11-24, 10:57 PM
yup. long week and even longer weekend. you should see some of the emails i sent out! even worse then this thread

sorry for highjacking too!

Justin

radu.grosu
2006-11-25, 09:11 PM
Nice to see so many replies..
I still think it is a bad behavior/bug and I will post a small project tomorrow, although I pretty much lost hope on this one..

dbaldacchino
2006-11-26, 12:28 AM
It would help if you post a small example. Purge not used before posting so the file will be small.

Are you extending the slab into the wall? Unless we're using loadbearing construction, we typically let the wall pass by the slab, so the slab stops on the inside face of the wall. One thing I noticed recently with regards to how connected elements clean up was with columns and beams. If you attach the top of a column to a beam (so that the column always stretches up or down when the beam is moved), the column stops to the underside of the beam. That's not really how it's detailed in actual construction. Because of that we don't attach columns, which is a big pity in my opinion.

radu.grosu
2006-11-28, 10:13 AM
So here it is..

aaronrumple
2006-11-28, 06:09 PM
I think what you want to do is detach the base of the wall from the floor. Drag the base of the wall down to the brick ledge. Edit the floor so it extends to the back of the insulation. Then use join geometry to join all three items and clean them up.

radu.grosu
2006-11-29, 02:34 PM
Actually it has nothing to do with the multi-layered wall - it simply was in the project and I didn't delete it. And what about the problem - the foundation wall does not go up to the structural layer of the slab... what about that?

jv3dcad
2008-07-11, 12:52 PM
Today I noticed the same bug. In section it looks like the wall is cutting the non structural layers from the floor,BUT in the model the floor is cut out of the wall. This results in a false value for the volume of the wall and the floor. I hope Autodesk will solve this problem in the next release.