PDA

View Full Version : Build a tapered, expanding part over a curved path

jniessen
2006-11-24, 07:20 PM
I hope this isn't the second time i have posted. I got an error message last time i tried.

In any case, i am trying to recreate the top of the part shown in the attached JPG. I searched these forums and tried using a ruled surface. It will work if i create the start end up to the 1 3/8R circle then create the end part and union them.

But, i would think there is a way to taper the parts over an extrude. The ultimate would be if it will also extrude along the curved path. Hope you can help and thanks in advance.

jaberwok
2006-11-24, 07:37 PM
Well, the good news is that it's an easy Loft in A2007.
Not what you want, I know but I needed some practice.

I'll get back to you.

jaberwok
2006-11-26, 02:59 PM
I don't see any realistic way to do this in A2006 (or earlier).
The tee sections need to be divided into rectangles and individually tapered on each edge.
The corner section is even more complicated.
In case it helps, here is an A2004 format file written from A2007. The shape was lofted but the corner section could be cleaned up.

CGM
2006-11-26, 04:24 PM
I hope this isn't the second time i have posted. I got an error message last time i tried.

In any case, i am trying to recreate the top of the part shown in the attached JPG. I searched these forums and tried using a ruled surface. It will work if i create the start end up to the 1 3/8R circle then create the end part and union them.

But, i would think there is a way to taper the parts over an extrude. The ultimate would be if it will also extrude along the curved path. Hope you can help and thanks in advance.Hi Jniessen,
Excuse me if I mix my metaphors, it's been a while since I've tackled anything like this in 3D, even longer since I've done so in English. I would Extrude an ordinary 'T piece' with a non horizontal base and attempt to create the taper by using the 'difference' command (is that now called subtract?) the corner section could perhaps be generated by a rotational sweep through 90°. Here again letting the 'T section deliberately too long to once again to produce the outer radius with the 'difference' command.

Hope this makes sense, despite my outdated terminology.

david_peterson
2006-11-26, 04:29 PM
This could be possible with Structural Member Styles in ADT/ABS, but it wouldn't be easy.

jaberwok
2006-11-26, 09:36 PM
FWIW, the taper angle is different on each face (when split on the obvious mirror plane). :-(

jniessen
2006-11-26, 11:51 PM
Ouch you guys. I think i really screwed up. I have given this to two of my grade 12 students that are ahead of everyone else. I did it last year with one student but i can't remember how we did it. I figured someone would come up with an easy answer. I am going to try (sorry I can't back up t o see who posted the messages) two of the solutions tomorrow at work.

I think this is what makes Autocad so much fun. From day one I teach my students to look at a drawing in Acad as a puzzle and you need to find the commands that make the drawings correct but productive.

I would try this today but we are getting a major dump of snow, 12" so far, and i need to go and throw snow balls at my son. Enjoy your Sunday and thanks. I'll let you know how we do.

CGM
2006-11-27, 02:59 PM
...and you need to find the commands that make the drawings correct but productive.Hi again,
Hope you enjoyed the snow. You could of course create the model with surfaces on a wire frame model; however if it's for downloading to a CNC machine that idea won't be of much use to you. ~shrug~ Have fun with it anyway.

jniessen
2006-11-30, 05:40 PM
Here is our solution. Each piece was made separately. Thanks for the help. I had thought there would be an easy way but going back toe the basics seemed to be the best solution.

BTW, i am having problems filleting the top cylinder and the front of the vertical "T" section. I get an error message that asks if the fillet is too large. All the other fillets seemed to be dependent on the UCS.

Thanks again for your help. This one was fun.

jaberwok
2006-11-30, 09:54 PM
Like this?

jniessen
2006-11-30, 10:03 PM
Hmmmm. I am not to sure what i am looking at. You have added a cylinder but the top surface of the main cylinder still does not have a fillet. Is that what you are showing me? This attachment has a few leaders to edges that wouldn't fillet. R=1/16"

PS. Your very right. Who needs a game consul when....

jaberwok
2006-11-30, 10:10 PM
I just filleted the top boss to the arm which required the fillet to chain along the arm flange/spline.
I haven't added anything. What did I miss?