PDA

View Full Version : dashed equipment

pcore
2006-11-29, 09:19 PM
There are probably a few ways to accomplish this, but I was wondering how one would dash in equipment (for instance these red vending machines in the image). Could it be done with worksets, or is it better to do this in visibility graphics?

petervanko
2006-11-29, 09:49 PM
Stick to visibilty graphics unless absolutely necessary; I personally am trying to forget my ACAD years, and their is a tendency to treat worksets like layers. Another layer of control is filters; for instance, these vending machines may be a specialty equipment family, and you have other specialty equipment you don't want to be dashed. VG controls would of course change the entire model category. Anyway, filters allow you to add a piece of data to objects and control their visibility and display. Could be a good practice for you to start now to avoid problems down the road...

Justin Marchiel
2006-11-29, 10:29 PM
if it is going to be hidden all the time, i would suggest editing the family and using a hidden symbolic representation type line.

Justin

dhurtubise
2006-11-29, 11:15 PM
if it is going to be hidden all the time, i would suggest editing the family and using a hidden symbolic representation type line.

Justin
I agree with the visibility in the family. Use a subcategory though, so that it won't change all your family.

aaronrumple
2006-11-30, 12:21 AM
1. Use filters. This would allow you to add a NIC parameter to objects (such as in the remarks...) This will allow you to change the appearance without editing the family.

2. Use phasing. If you create the object in the new phase and demo it in the new phase it will use the temporary graphic for the display. The good thing about this is it wil be separate from demo items, and the dashes will persist in all existing views. Again, there would be no need to edit the family.

pcore
2006-11-30, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the help. I decided to use filters, and learned something new. Phasing seems to work quickly, but I could see it causing a problem if this wasn't all new construction.