PDA

View Full Version : remote assistance

sfaust
2006-11-29, 11:39 PM
Has anyone used remote assistance to show Revit before? I can set up remote assistance to look at another user's desktop (in another office) and I can see and control their desktop. However, the Revit windows will not refresh, so I can see and work with the buttons and menu's just fine, but I can't see anything in the window. I tried it on two computers next to each other and the model info shows up fine on the users computer, I just can't see it on mine so I can't see what I'm showing them.

anyone have any experience?

johnf.77896
2006-11-30, 01:14 AM
Steve, what kind of remote assistance are you using? Remote desktop, vnc, pcanywhere? I would recommend using a vnc if possible.

John Fleming
GMK Architecture, inc.

sfaust
2006-11-30, 04:19 AM
I was just using the windows XP remote assistance thing. Send remote assistance request and go to that computer. I don't know a lot about it and have never really done it before, so I'm open to suggestions. Any tips on using vnc? have you done it for revit before?

thanks for the help...

johnf.77896
2006-11-30, 03:38 PM
I use Ultra VNC viewer/server. I dont use it to do much with revit but it does work. When I am at the office it is much faster than if I am at a remote location. It is a free program and works great. www.ultravnc.com is the web address.

John Fleming
GMK Architecture, inc.

ford347
2006-11-30, 04:02 PM
I've been doing this with a guy now for about a week. He is learning Revit and making the switch from Acad. Just get an MSN account and download MSN messenger. They have a remote assistance feature and I have been using it with success. It refreshes well, a little slow with shadows, things like that, but so far I was able to run Revit on his machine just like I have on my own, aside from a little speed issues. Check it out.

Josh

sfaust
2006-11-30, 04:25 PM
ok, I couldn't get the vnc thing to work for some reason. will look into it more later, but I figured out that having opengl on was what was messing with the remote assistance thing, so I think it will work now...

sfaust
2006-11-30, 08:59 PM
Ok, for anyone else interested, OpenGL does not work properly with remote assistance. If you have the user turn off OpenGL acceleration (or turn it off yourself once you have control of their desktop) it will work just fine.

To get to remote assistance, press F1 from the desktop and select "invite a friend to connect with remote assistance". From there you can go through messenger, outlook, or have them send you a file that you click on to get to their computer.

Anyway, that works for us, so hopefully it's helpful to someone else too...