PDA

View Full Version : Attributes Extraction

kpbh
2004-06-25, 08:06 PM
I have just about searched all forums to find a tool that will enable me to extract the information from the drawing title blocks of many drawings in a batch format.
I looked in the VBA section if there was something usefull, but no luck.
I know that there are 3rd parties on the Internet that are selling their products, but we want to use the tools available with the software wehave.
We are running AutoCad 2004 and MS XP.
AutoCad has a Attribute Extraction wizzard, but that is not doing its job in one process. I have to repeat that many times to get the information that I want, even with a template file.
Would any of you have any suggestions?

richard.binning
2004-06-25, 09:00 PM
You will definitely want to use ObjectDBX if you are looking to extract from multiple files. Take a look at the examples here: (http://www.integr-8.com/AU2003/ObjectDBX.htm)

kpbh
2004-06-29, 04:15 PM
I have been looking at that and wander if it would be easier to take a holiday in Hawaii :confused: .
Could you give some sort of explanation so I can try to understand all that code? and how to use it?
Gerry

You will definitely want to use ObjectDBX if you are looking to extract from multiple files. Take a look at the examples here: (http://www.integr-8.com/AU2003/ObjectDBX.htm)

richard.binning
2004-06-30, 04:05 AM
The ObjectDBX object model is very similar to AutoCAD's object model. You will have to lose your dependence on the "ThisDrawing" object and start accessing properties and methods through use of the "Application" object.

Take a look at the ObjectDBXDocument Class on that website. Are you familiar with classes? I have started this Class and defined a couple of utility functions, GetBlockRefs and GetXrefs. Step through this code for a look at how it is used.

You could use the GetBlockRefs method in the first document accessed and populate a list or combo box with the names of all block inserts, the user would then select his titleblock from this list. Then the routine would open each drawing in turn and extract attributes found in each instance of this blockref found.

Still need some help? Post your questions here.

revanscad
2004-07-22, 06:36 PM
By this method could we make the attribute information become bidirectional? Could a none Autocad user control the attributed information via a database that updates the information on the Layout block?