PDA

View Full Version : Need help on this roof....

chris.needham
2006-12-04, 12:42 PM
Hi Everyone, my first post here, after lurking for a while.

I've been using Revit for a couple of months now, and quite enjoying the experience. I've used ADT for several years now, and can make it do most things that I need in my work, but am now getting into Revit and enjoy it more.

Anyway, I'm having a bit of trouble drawing the attached roof in Revit. I've attached a screenshot of the roof done in ADT, but I just can't get it done in Revit. It gives me a message similar to ".....can't have enclosed boundary lines defining slope...."

Anyone done anything like this successfully?

whittendesigns
2006-12-04, 01:58 PM
I would try making 4 separate roofs. What happens when you draw one complete roof and draw the part in the middle, Revit thinks you're drawing a hole in the roof.

You can make the 4 complete roofs by footprint, then join them, then edit the lines to clean it up.

Rhythmick
2006-12-04, 03:30 PM
The roof around the courtyard could be done in two halves then join.

whittendesigns
2006-12-04, 04:06 PM
Much better than what I had thought, good one.

christo4robin
2006-12-04, 04:08 PM
To elaborate a bit more... Going with multiple roofs is the answer, whether split along the ridges or split over the n side, s side, e side, w side. To get the roofs to be accurate to how they will be constructed, sketch the roofs a bit longer than they need to be where the will intersect, then use the join geometry button so the intersection of geometry becomes a line. In a roof plan view, add a detail line or reference plane to the intersection. Now edit the sketch and pull it back to the intersection you just clarified with the reference plane. Repeat as necessary. I usually delete the reference plane as soon as I've finished the sketch so I don't have a messy file.

chris.needham
2006-12-04, 08:06 PM
Thanks a lot all of you. I also tried doing it using slope arrows on each boundary, but it wouldn't do it that way either.

I will get onto doing it later today, thanks again.

kpaxton
2006-12-04, 08:52 PM
On a side note, I'm a bit curious.... where geographically is this 'design' going?
I'm interested as to why there is a designed 'hole' in the middle of the roof. Is this to get in natural light to the center of the structure? There's an obvious water problem now being made to go in the interior of the building, that a skylight, dome or pyramid would have worked just as well. If this was to be used as an outdoor courtyard, it appears to be too small to bring in any 'nice' light, or have the space useable. Could you please comment? Thanks!!

REgards,
Kyle

mlgatzke
2006-12-05, 04:24 PM
. . . I'm interested as to why there is a designed 'hole' in the middle of the roof.Ooooo, goody goody goody. Design critique. This is my favorite part.

kpaxton
2006-12-05, 04:32 PM
Ooooo, goody goody goody. Design critique. This is my favorite part.Sorry - I can't resist! it's in my Genes! (or was implanted in us at ISU!!) :P

FAIR WARNING to ALL: I've got my Wacom tablet hooked up and I'm not afraid to use it!

whittendesigns
2006-12-05, 05:58 PM
I try my best to refrain from asking "why?" because lots of people are probably asking the same of my designs!

sbrown
2006-12-05, 06:17 PM
We've done this on courtyards, it does pose a water issue, but really its no diff. than the exterior, you either provide gutters and downspouts to a drain in the courtyard floor, or you hard pipe it and have a floor drain.

kpaxton
2006-12-05, 06:22 PM
We've done this on courtyards, it does pose a water issue, but really its no diff. than the exterior, you either provide gutters and downspouts to a drain in the courtyard floor, or you hard pipe it and have a floor drain.Scott, yes - and so have I... but go back and look at the example given... it seems a bit....small for what one is getting out of it. Technically, yes, this can be solved and it isn't much of a problem - I'm just trying to understand where this is going and what is driving this small hole in the home/structure/etc.
:D
kyle