PDA

View Full Version : Compound Slope Roof

M.Poole
2006-12-04, 07:45 PM
I am in the process of modeling an existing building for renovation and have come up against a compound sloped dormer roof that I am, so far, unable to recreate (see attached PDF sketch).

Is this roof possible in Revit? Can anybody out there help?

whittendesigns
2006-12-04, 08:21 PM
absolutely.

I'm not entirely sure how you get the angle exact, it will be some mathematical figuring for sure. All I did was make a main roof, then another smaller roof, positioned it where I wanted it, then made an opening on the smaller roof to get rid of what I didn't need.

There might also be some way that you can use slope arrows at a different angle to the base, I'm unsure how to do this. I recently saw something like this, but not sure how it's done.

Hope this helps.

M.Poole
2006-12-04, 09:22 PM
absolutely.

I'm not entirely sure how you get the angle exact, it will be some mathematical figuring for sure. All I did was make a main roof, then another smaller roof, positioned it where I wanted it, then made an opening on the smaller roof to get rid of what I didn't need.

There might also be some way that you can use slope arrows at a different angle to the base, I'm unsure how to do this. I recently saw something like this, but not sure how it's done.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I got that far, but you'll notice in the sketch attached to the original post that the ridge also slopes @ 3:12. It's this 2 way slope that seems to be the part that Revit doesn't like.
Anyone?

Mark

whittendesigns
2006-12-04, 10:19 PM
oh boy, that was a blunder, my apologies. I'll have it in a sec. My brains not working obviously hehe

whittendesigns
2006-12-04, 10:37 PM
ok, what you got there isnt too bad after all. Your "ridge" at the 3/12 pitch you should figure it as a hip. Now with the mathematical skills I have, it comes very close to a hip roof with a 4.25/12 pitch. This will make your hip/ridge at a 3" pitch (very close but not exact). From there exactly like I did before. Made a huge hip roof and made an opening to cut out the parts I didn't need to show up.

Sometimes my brain works in bizzarre ways and I can't explain how I come to these conclusions. If you have trouble let me know. I attached an example of what I did so you could see.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I hope you can try with the 4.25" pitch instead of the 5", Man my brain just goes too fast sometimes. I could still work it out if you still need the 5". Let me know

Scott D Davis
2006-12-04, 10:54 PM
Here's a solution using a diamond shaped roof and slope arrows. Slope arrows and main roof are set to 3/12 slope.

whittendesigns
2006-12-04, 11:12 PM
THAT's what I was talking about. TY Scott.

Scott D Davis
2006-12-04, 11:21 PM
I actually made it extend throught he main roof first, used Join Geometry to find the shape where they intersect. Then put Ref Planes at the intersection as a guide. Re-edited the sketch to make the actual diamond shape.

M.Poole
2006-12-05, 07:01 PM
Thanks guys, that got it........close enough for a graphic representation.
Mark