PDA

View Full Version : Best practice for residential roof framing plan

Maximillian
2006-12-04, 09:16 PM
I have been using Revit for 3 concurrent residential projects. I have to deal with roof framing now but am really lost as to how to show the roof and the walls window sides below so that I can add a center line for each header.

How you resident al people doing this? or maybe you have a better way?

I thought I was done for when the AUGI server went down....

whittendesigns
2006-12-04, 10:14 PM
It's probably not the best way, but I edited the window family I use and attached some symbolic lines attached to the rough opening constraints with an extension of (whatever you'd like) 6".

When I do my roof framing plan I use underlay of the floor below with the orientation set to RCP.

Maximillian
2006-12-04, 10:45 PM
I like this idea, but do you see the windows correctly in your standard floor plan or are you showing headers there too?

whittendesigns
2006-12-05, 02:25 AM
What I did was give it a type parameter to turn it on and off. Best solution I've come up with. I know theres got to be an easier way.

kpaxton
2006-12-05, 04:09 PM
I like this idea, but do you see the windows correctly in your standard floor plan or are you showing headers there too?Max,

If I understand you correctly, you're trying to see just the 'opening' of the windows/doors below - and other areas that are requireing to have a header. - so you really don't need to see the whole window below. Is this not happening when you're using the Underlay from View Properties?

Also, something to think about - Are you scheduling these headers/beams automatically? or are you placing text manually for beam callouts? Although I typically don't do this (I hire structurals to do their own drawings!) I've heard of others using parameters and other methods to create objects that can be scheduled. THIS is the power of revit! :) The question then becomes... do I place this as an embedded family inside the window itself or as a separate family - and just lock and align?

I'll try to look into this a bit further this week.

Kyle

whittendesigns
2006-12-05, 05:57 PM
Yes, absolutely. My methods are not as fine tuned probably as every one elses here. Mine don't need to be since I'm in residential, I don't come across too much that is very technical. Clients ask me to do basic drawings and thats all.

Having all this information collected is terriffic. I need to get up to date with all of this seeing that I am expanding into more intense design work. This was one of those "well this works OK for the moment" type things.

Mike Sealander
2006-12-05, 10:42 PM
I think you might get what you want by setting the view to "coordination" instead of "architectural". Structural drawings show the vertical structure of the floor below, and then the framing of the deck on the level at hand. Revit knows this.