PDA

View Full Version : different section walls

jhudtwalcker
2006-12-05, 12:38 AM
someone knows how can I draw a wall that starts with, lets say, 6", and finishes, lets Say, 8"? I mean in plan view, not in section view...

I'm trying to do this, since I'm making a remodeling plan, and have adobe walls...

thanks in advice...

rjjlee
2006-12-05, 02:21 AM
jhudtwalcker,
A couple of ways to draw your wall:
1. Before starting to draw your wall, change its properties in the property browser (I think that's what it's called- the one in the top left corner)- by setting the base offset to 6" and top offset to 8". Remember to change it back after you've finished drawing as those settings will be retained for the next wall of that sort that you draw
or,
2. if you have lots of walls doing the same thing, it might pay to set up new levels for these walls (bottom level and top level)- this way, if the you change your mind as to how tall the walls are, you can just change the level and the walls should all follow

dbaldacchino
2006-12-05, 02:39 AM
To create non-constant width walls in plan, you have to create in-place families of the Wall category. Regular walls (system families) can only have constant thickness in plan.

kpaxton
2006-12-05, 04:29 PM
jhudtwalcker,
A couple of ways to draw your wall:
1. Before starting to draw your wall, change its properties in the property browser (I think that's what it's called- the one in the top left corner)- by setting the base offset to 6" and top offset to 8". Remember to change it back after you've finished drawing as those settings will be retained for the next wall of that sort that you draw
or,
2. if you have lots of walls doing the same thing, it might pay to set up new levels for these walls (bottom level and top level)- this way, if the you change your mind as to how tall the walls are, you can just change the level and the walls should all followI believe he was asking that the thickness of the wall change in plan (thick adobe walls)...

EDITORIAL CORRECTION:
Just to clarify what rjjlee said:
1)- The OFFSETS that are listed in the wall properties dialogue are for VERTICAL offsets. EG: lets say you have a stepping foundation. In lieu of creating new levels or datums, you create the same walls on the level, and use this OFFSET to adjust the bottom of the wall's starting point (say 8" up). The same can be said for the top of the wall.
2) I would suggest if you're got different levels everywhere, only identify the MAJOR ones, and create DATUMS (black levels) not LEVELS (blue levels). Leave the Levels for when you need to create new Plan views. Be careful and don't create a huge number of datums as these will propogate and be seen in all elevation and section views - then you'll spend a lot of time 'Hiding in View' the ones that don't need to be seen.

To create non-constant width walls in plan, you have to create in-place families of the Wall category. Regular walls (system families) can only have constant thickness in plan.AMEN

Kyle

Dimitri Harvalias
2006-12-05, 04:37 PM
. Be careful and don't create a huge number of datums as these will propogate and be seen in all elevation and section views - then you'll spend a lot of time 'Hiding in View' the ones that don't need to be seen.
Kyle
If you have worksets enabled just throw all those datums on to a Reference workset. Remember when you create a workset that you have the option of making it visible (and conversely, invisible) by default in all views.