PDA

View Full Version : Tuscan Home By High School Student

gbschafer
2006-12-05, 06:41 PM
This is a school assignment that I've been working on for a little while now. The class has 4 different styles of homes to choose from: Prarie, Craftsman, Tuscan, and Spanish. We have to study these styles of homes and build our own house using an existing 1st floor plan. By the end of the project each student should have detailed floor plans, exterior elevations, slab foundation plans, electrical plans, structural sections, and wall sections. Please feel free to send me anything that will make this house the best it can be. It is still in progress and I will update the photos consistantly. Thank you very much.

This house has 2 floors, the second floor bedroom on the right has an elevated ceiling. I choose the Tuscan style house and unfortunately the colors of the house isn't comming out the way I want them to be.

- Jonathon Schafer

.chad
2006-12-05, 07:48 PM
in your last image, your elevation tags seem to be arbitrarily placed in the drawing. when you document a building, especially for presentation purposes, the documentation should be considered a part of the design. pull the all your tags out from infront of the building, and align them to the right so the markers are all in a vertical line. the overall effect will be much nicer, and easier to read.

Andre Baros
2006-12-05, 08:13 PM
What is the goal of the project? If you can give us more information on the assignment or program it will be easier to give meaningful comments.

sleimgruber06
2006-12-07, 09:32 PM
The goal of the project -- If i remember correctly being; being alumni of this program -- is to take a home design, model the 2nd floor, and add a characteristic to it IE: tuscan, spanish, french normandy, craftsmen etc... using as much detail as possible (knowledge of revit.) These students are mostly new to the program and this is just on of the many steps taken to introduce them to the program and into architectural design.

HTH,

dsk
2006-12-08, 04:17 PM
Hi,
Your model looks pretty good. How about posting floor plans and sections so we can see how the spaces work in relation to one another? One of the difficulties in architecture is linking the design of the interior and the exterior of the building. Both need to work in order for the design to work as a whole.

You will probably need to increase the height of your third floor. If the house is to utilize "standard" wood frame construction, there will probably be ceiling and floor joists which will take up at least 8" of vertical space (more likely 12"). Since the floor to floor height between your 2nd and 3rd floors is 7'-0", your ceiling height will be somewhere around 6'-0" -a little too low for comfort!

keep up the good work!

David Kataoka
Carrierjohnson Architects

Brian Myers
2006-12-25, 06:22 AM
Hello Jonathon,

Can you also post more elevations? Its difficult to judge a project just looking at the front.. a building should flow and it's difficult to tell how the proportions that look interesting in the front may affect your design solution in the rear of this project.