PDA

View Full Version : RC Structure Export to Staad

Arnel Aguel
2004-06-27, 06:15 AM
I have a four storey reinforced concrete building which already have the architectural and structural framing in it. Our intention is to have the RC structural framing be represented in single line diagram so that we could possibly export it via dxf format into STAAD.

Is this possible for RC structure? I'm pretty sure it can be done for steel framing i've seen it somewhere here it was exported to ETABS also via dxf.

gregcashen
2004-06-28, 04:18 PM
Create a 3D view with just the structural framing elements displayed. Export to dxf. It should work just fine. I have used this before with steel frames for import into Multiframe.

Arnel Aguel
2004-06-29, 12:03 AM
Greg i think it will not work with RC Structure.
Steel framing can be represented as single diagram if we use coarse details in framing elevation or 3D. However, RC framing still represents 3D objects even if we select coarse detail.
Am i missing something here?

gregcashen
2004-06-29, 12:23 AM
Greg i think it will not work with RC Structure.
Steel framing can be represented as single diagram if we use coarse details in framing elevation or 3D. However, RC framing still represents 3D objects even if we select coarse detail.
Am i missing something here?

You're right. Open the families you're using for this and change the display in course mode to only show a model line that runs the length of the beam. You will have to add the line yourself and lock it appropriately. Reload the families into the project. Let me know how that works.

Arnel Aguel
2004-06-29, 04:24 AM
Greg it works as expected you can represent rc framing as single line diagram but you have to add a model line in all your RC framing families and set the visibility to show the model line in coarse detail only.

However, the problem is compatibility with Staad software it does not import as expected. The model lines are wrong and distorted but when i open the exported dxf file in autocad it is fine.

I am not sure if this is software compatibility problem or what.

gregcashen
2004-06-29, 04:37 AM
Greg it works as expected you can represent rc framing as single line diagram but you have to add a model line in all your RC framing families and set the visibility to show the model line in coarse detail only.

However, the problem is compatibility with Staad software it does not import as expected. The model lines are wrong and distorted but when i open the exported dxf file in autocad it is fine.

I am not sure if this is software compatibility problem or what.

You may need to export to AutoCAD first and then from there to STAAD. I have heard this sort of stuff about STAAD, though I have never used it.