PDA

View Full Version : component will not load

pcore
2006-12-06, 04:03 PM
I have created a component for a window assembly, and it will not load into the project (or any project for that matter). I get the error "Can't make type 'component x.'" I've attached it if anyone wants to tinker with it. Any ideas?

Zoltan
2006-12-06, 09:27 PM
When I open the family, it said that the sketch of a cut extrusion is not valid and must be deleted. After the file is saved again, it can be loaded. I don't know which extrusion it was since it had to be deleted before the family could be opened.

Zoltan
2006-12-07, 03:36 AM
I thought that window looked familiar! :)

Looking at it in more detail, the problem might have been caused by the Opening Cuts in the nested window families conflicting with the Voids in the host family. I changed the nested windows to have voids instead of openings. You cannot have an opening and a void in the same family. When I re-built the window, I was having a problem when the void that cuts the wall for the row-lock touched the voids in the nested windows. It would give me an error in the host project that said Host Cannot be Cut by Instance. Taking the voids out of the nested families and cutting them in the main family solved it. Something worth remembering.

I also linked up most of the parameters to make the size parametric. There are still some parameters in the nested windows, like mullion sizes, that you can either set in the family or link to parameters to be able to change them in the project. You can control the position of the window and row-lock relative to the wall with the parameters Window Inset and Rowlock Setback.

I also added Subcategories for windows to control the linework and default material for the divider and row-lock and I added subcategories for Detail Items to control the linework for Mullions, Blocking and Sealant in fine detail mode. In you family, the detail items for the blocking and sealant did not have the Show Only if Instance is Cut option checked and it was showing in all detail modes. Something to be careful of, since the detail was showing when the section was cut through the concrete divider.

I took out the symbolic lines to represent the soldier course on the row-lock, since you can apply the material to the category (or the family) in the project.

Although this is great practice in creating a crazy complex family, I would not recommend this level of detail in a large project. It's fun to have the details get created as the window is cut in section automatically, but realistically, most of this can be done with detail work on a view-specific basis. You would be careful not to leave a plan view in Fine detail mode, or else all of those mullions will come out and eat Revit's performance.

But it was fun, and you and anyone else should dig through this family, since there are a lot of examples of things that can be done in families and lots of fun nested families to play with. Things like this are a great example of the power of families in Revit.

Have fun!