PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to Revit 9.1 from AutoCAD 2007, now unable to access online support

cadmaniac
2006-12-06, 08:32 PM
We just upgraded to Revit 9.1 from AutoCAD 2007; but ever since then, our online support in Autocad 2007 doesn't work anymore. We've been going back & forth between the reseller & autodesk. No solid answer yet so far.
I personally think that these are two different software, it should be able to access online support separately.

Does anybody have the same experience?

Mike.Perry
2006-12-07, 01:35 AM
We just upgraded to Revit 9.1 from AutoCAD 2007; but ever since then, our online support in Autocad 2007 doesn't work anymore. We've been going back & forth between the reseller & autodesk. No solid answer yet so far.
I personally think that these are two different software, it should be able to access online support separately.Hi

Did you upgrade from AutoCAD 2007 to Revit 9.1

OR

Purchase additional / new licences for Revit 9.1

The above two options are very different.

If upgrade, I can understand now not being able to access online support for AutoCAD 2007.

If purchase, you should still be able to access online support for AutoCAD 2007.

Have a good one, Mike

Brian Myers
2006-12-07, 01:46 AM
As Mike mentions, can you provide a better description of your current software and license situation?

cadmaniac
2006-12-07, 05:26 PM
Yes, we did upgrade from AutoCAD 2007 to Revit; We've going back & forth with the reseller & autodesk subscription, still haven't got a consistent answer. It's been very frustrating...
So according to what you mentioned, if we upgrade from AutoCAD to Revit, we won't be able to access the online support, even though they're two different software. Bur if the subscription for the same account, can they switch it; it's just not very convenient since our main platform is still AutoCAD. please advise.

Thanks,
Ohlisa

Brian Myers
2006-12-07, 09:22 PM
Yes, we did upgrade from AutoCAD 2007 to Revit; We've going back & forth with the reseller & autodesk subscription, still haven't got a consistent answer. It's been very frustrating...
So according to what you mentioned, if we upgrade from AutoCAD to Revit, we won't be able to access the online support, even though they're two different software. Bur if the subscription for the same account, can they switch it; it's just not very convenient since our main platform is still AutoCAD. please advise.

Thanks,
Ohlisa

Here is the issue, I'll put each step as a numbered item:

1.) You upgraded to Revit. The key word is upgraded. By upgrading you essentially hand over your license of AutoCAD and exchange it for Revit. If you had simply bought Revit instead of upgrading it then you would have kept your licenses for both software and been able to recieve technical support on both products. But I would imagine by upgrading you recieved a rather large discounted rate on the cost of your Revit software.

2.) Since you handed over your AutoCAD license you no longer have the right to use that program which removes your ability to access the online support.

3.) By "rule of subscription" you are entitled to backwards compatible support. So if you have AutoCAD 2005 and also own 2007 you would be able to run both versions and also get support on both versions.

4.) BUT.. this support does not go sideways/backwards if you cross-grade your product. In other words, a Revit subscription, even if it is "transferred" over from a current version of AutoCAD, the subscription will not go sideways/or backwards with it. So you are asking now... why won't my subscription transfer to cover another product?

5.) You traded in your AutoCAD license to get a discount on your Revit software. Your Subscription would have been cancelled for AutoCAD and newly created for Revit. So while they may call it a "crossgrade" or "upgrade" it's really a pricing issue where you license is removed from one software product and your subscritpion cancelled while a new group of licenses are issued and a new subscription contract is put into place.

As a result, you are not entitled to AutoCAD support since you no longer possess the license for that product as you traded them in for your Revit software. This is similar to trading in your car for a new car but keeping a few parts. Your old warranty for those parts is no longer good since you traded the Vehicle in for a new one and your warranty now is only good for the new vehicle.

Now if you didn't upgrade/crossgrade and just purchased the seats of Revit then its different, you should still qualify for AutoCAD support since you would still control your licenses. But, the issue seems to be you exchanged your licenses for Revit ones and if this is the case the scenario I listed above takes place. Now if you were not aware of this then its an issue between you and your reseller. If Autodesk has made a mistake and you did purchase Revit full price (non-exchange/crossgrade) then its an issue between you and Autodesk and your reseller should try to help you.