PDA

View Full Version : mouse scroll wheel

hirschnc
2006-12-09, 03:58 PM
I am having trouble in 3D views scrolling the mouse wheel. What i am trying to do is have the image enlarge or shrink as I scroll the wheel. The "center point" of the view seems to be somewhere other than the center of the view I am seeing because as the image gets larger, the image goes up, down or sideways off of the screen.

Is there some setting I should know about to have the zoom in and out while scrolling automatically use the center of the screen as the center of enlargement?

Thanks, Bill

whittendesigns
2006-12-09, 04:24 PM
Unless something has changed in your system somewhere, wherever you have the mouse pointed on the screen is where the center of the zoom will increase or decrease. So if you want to zoom into a certain section, put your mouse pointer where you want it and scroll in.

I never use any other zoom commands really, just a quick flick of the wheel. I use zoom extents rarely. Rotating I use the shift+mouse wheel pushbutton part (dont know what that really is called). Pan is just the mouse wheel button.

hirschnc
2006-12-09, 04:36 PM
That's what it used to do. Now it doesn"t so something must have changed. I did just change out the graphics card so i could use Autodesk Impression that i got at AU. I supposed this changed the settings somehow. Any ideas on how to change it back?

Mike Sealander
2006-12-09, 04:46 PM
I sometimes lose my right-click ability, and have to restart Revit or reboot. I have a Logitech Mouseman, couple years old, and I think it just conks out sometimes. You might be having a similar problem.

dbaldacchino
2006-12-09, 04:54 PM
Are you using a Microsoft mouse? If so, run the troubleshooter (through the mouse icon in the control panel, which will launch the mouse driver interface) and follow the instructions on how to fix it. Typically this troubleshooter is in the scroll button options tab

hirschnc
2006-12-09, 05:06 PM
David:

I'm using a Sony VAIO mouse that came with my system. It says it is a Logitech type mouse and when i go to the control panel, then mouse, then SetPoint Settings, i get a Logitech menu. I have the scroll whell set to "middle button". I don't see a troubleshooting button.

Bill

hirschnc
2006-12-09, 06:26 PM
I see better what is actually happening now. Zooming by using the scroll wheel works in all views except {3D}. When in that view, the scroll wheel enlarges and reduces the view size, but it also scrolls the image up or down on the screen causing it to move out of the window.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bill

kpaxton
2006-12-09, 07:37 PM
I see better what is actually happening now. Zooming by using the scroll wheel works in all views except {3D}. When in that view, the scroll wheel enlarges and reduces the view size, but it also scrolls the image up or down on the screen causing it to move out of the window. Any ideas? Thanks, BillYes, actually I do. I have a Logitech wireless mouse & keyboard, which also uses the SetPoint interface to control the functions of the mouse. It is here that the settings need to be correct. I've had the exact problem you're describing - and it is the SetPoint program that causes these issues.

You'll need to be out of Revit - then go into Setpoint (not the windows mouse control in Control Panel). Go to mouse, then select the function for the Middle Button. [SEE IMAGE] Make sure this is set to "Other", where you then define it as the "Middle Button" - go figure! Click OK, then hit Apply, then OK and close SetPoint. Open up Revit. This should now allow you to use the middle scroll button to zoom in and out in a 3d View. Holding the middle button and moving the mouse, should pan your image. HINT: Hold the SHIFT key while doing this allows you to Rotate the image.

HINT #2 - When you're rotating your image, Revit 'sees' the whole Project, and what is defined by your scope box in that view. It will base the 'center' of the project on the center of that 'box'. To rotate around a certain object, just select it with your mouse (making it highlight as red), then shift-middle button and the project will rotate around THAT object! :)

Kyle

hirschnc
2006-12-09, 07:45 PM
Eureka! Many thanks,

Bill