PDA

View Full Version : Soffits - an interesting problem/bug/conflict ?

kpaxton
2006-12-10, 12:20 AM
OK, so here I am making a nice little soffit and I stumble across what I wonder is a small bug or a conflict. I was wondering if anyone else has come across this. [SEE IMAGES]

I have a small gable that I'd like to place a soffit on. I've tried the other methods (using fascia sweeps, etc) before, but there are always geometry clean-up issues at the lower corner joints. I create a very simple, rectangular sloped soffit (select roof, then select walls & trim lines). I choose one of the lines to be slope defining, and match the slope of the roof.

The soffit sketch is associated to the level in which it was drawn, but I've associated it to be at a slightly higher level (datum). When I finish the sketch, it does start at that level and slopes the way it's supposed to - however, it's a little too high. Since I know the distance I want it to lower it by, I select Properties and type in a (- 6") offset. This does NOT work. (nor does selecting a different level in this Properties Dialogue.)

I've found that IF you've defined the Level constraint in your sketch, you have to go back into the sketch itself and select the Slope defining line and do a Properties on it...and set the level and height difference there, OK out of the dialogue and hope it's correct. (by placing a section cut or in elevation, you can still move or nudge it.)

IF you want to be able to move the soffit from the main dialogue, you can't have an associate level value in the sketches. This was a very frustrating half an hour exercise to say the least, not to mention the help file is a bit...lacking on soffits.

Kyle

dbaldacchino
2006-12-10, 05:31 AM
Hmmmm I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that you gave the soffit a slope and thus, just like in roofs, the line that slopes needs to have a height. Well in roofs it's actually an offset if I remember correctly. Anyway I wouldn't expect it to work that way though.