PDA

View Full Version : DWG not recognized by ADT2006 after modifying shared coordinates

dbaldacchino
2006-12-12, 07:47 PM
I rotated a linked dwg in RB9.1 (latest build) and saved the new location (shared coordinates) back to the dwg. Now ADT2006 won't recognize the file! Is Revit writing back a version 2007 dwg? Anyone else had this problem?

kpaxton
2006-12-12, 08:34 PM
I rotated a linked dwg in RB9.1 (latest build) and saved the new location (shared coordinates) back to the dwg. Now ADT2006 won't recognize the file! Is Revit writing back a version 2007 dwg? Anyone else had this problem?Ummm... What is ADT?

:lol:
Kyle

dbaldacchino
2006-12-12, 08:48 PM
It's a piece of History, from which Autodesk makes some good money, based on about 475,000 licensed seats :roll:

Anyway, I confirmed that Revit IS modifying the file format when I change the shared coordinates. So now I HAVE to upgrade to 2007. Nice one....

Chad Smith
2006-12-12, 10:09 PM
Anyway, I confirmed that Revit IS modifying the file format when I change the shared coordinates. So now I HAVE to upgrade to 2007. Nice one....
That's a bit rude. You would think that if it is going to be changed it would remain in the same format.
I guess another way for Autodesk to get your upgrade dollar.

dbaldacchino
2006-12-12, 10:19 PM
That was my feeling. Thank God I made a copy of the survey or it would have messed my file up. Revit should maintain the version or ask you, and not just change the file format on you.

LRaiz
2006-12-13, 03:30 AM
If dwg file represents surveyor data then it is generally better to acquire (not publish) shared coordinates. Among other benefits acquire avoids modifying dwg file and thus sidesteps entire issue of changing dwg format.

dbaldacchino
2006-12-13, 03:43 AM
Great point, thanks a lot Leonid. To be honest, I'm still not 100% comfortable with the coordinate system. In my case I created a site project, linked the survey dwg and the Revit Building project and rotated & adjusted as necessary. Then I saved the locations to both the dwg and the building model. I wanted to make sure that when I linked this same survey dwg back into my building model by shared coordinates, that it would land exactly where it should, and it does.

I'll have to experiment with acquiring coordinates from the survey dwg. I guess as a start I should link the dwg origin to origin or center to center into an empty site project and leave it there. Then acquire, link my building model and adjust its position/orientation and save the location back to it. Not sure then how to get the survey dwg to fall in the right place in the building model if I don't publish coordinates and link it by shared coordinates (or I'm guessing I still should link it by shared coordinates?)

LRaiz
2006-12-13, 04:08 AM
The basic idea is
1) link surveyor dwg center to center into building rvt (or side rvt). It does not matter (even better) if rvt file is not empty but has the outline of your project.
2) Move (x, y and z) and rotate (only x and y) dwg relative to your project
3) Acquire coordinates from dwg. This makes shared coordinates to be exactly coordinates of dwg.
3a) If the same building will be located several times on the same site then 2-3 needs to be repeated for each location
4) In case of campus, repeat with the process for other buildings (other rvt files). Once shared coordinates are established in each rvt file you can cross-link them and they will automatically position themselves in context of other files.

ron.sanpedro
2006-12-13, 04:34 AM
It's a piece of History, from which Autodesk makes some good money, based on about 475,000 licensed seats :roll:

Don't upgrade, download the free tool from Autodesk that will save any DWG to pretty much any version. Even back to R14! Admittedly I have not tried shared coordinates and saving back, but I suspect it will work.

Best,
Gordon

dbaldacchino
2006-12-13, 04:53 AM
Well, we're subscription customers, but most of us have little reason to install ADT 2007. Revit changing the file version came as a surprise, but now I'm trying out Leonid's suggestion. I understand how with that method I can make linked building models fall in the right relationship to each other, but I'm still not sure how I can make the dwg land in the right spot within each project without modifying the shared coordinates within the dwg. I'll report back once I've exhausted all my options :)

dbaldacchino
2006-12-13, 06:03 AM
Ok, got the hang of it (really, thanks a lot for taking the time Leonid!)The only thing that one has to watch out for is that once you acquire coordinates from the dwg, Revit will mark that dwg as having Locations not Saved in the Manage Links dialog. I'm not sure why this happens, but you just need to ignore it when Revit warns you; you'll be asked if you want to save your location back to the dwg but you need to select the second or third options. You really have not changed it's location. In fact if you now remove this dwg and re-link it by shared coordinates, it'll land right back in the same place.

So first I linked my dwg into the building rvt and positioned the dwg under my building and corrected its orientation. I saved the file and did not save the location back to the dwg (it didn't change). Then I created a site file, linked the dwg and acquired coordinates once more, then linked the building rvt by shared coordinates and it landed right on the dwg in the correct location. The dwg will come in at the true north (typically surveys have the North as the Y axis), so you might have to rotate True North in order to get the linked building aligned as you want it to your Project North.