PDA

View Full Version : Revit Text on autocad equivelent of multiple layers

mjbednarczyk
2006-12-12, 09:51 PM
I am a newbie to Revit and I am struggling with a work flow issue.

Previously we had multiple layers that had notes used for design development in one central core base file. Layers were divided into equipment planning notes, mechanical requirement and electrical requirement etc. All notes were in one location and edited in one location. Display of information was by either turning on or off layers depending on need of user( M/E). We are a full service firm so our engineers are familiar of where we place information.

Now from what I can understand in the Revit world text is view dependent. I know about tags and multi category tags associating to the equipment. However this is not necessary in that this information currently does not need to be either scheduled. This is used primarily for communication purposes. I have created some shared parameters and have a multi category tag for some of this communication of information.

From what I understand text is text and can not be assigned to different layers like in Auto cad .When I go to visibility you either have text on or off. There is no option to have multi category text.

Are there any other options out there that I can investigate to see if this works within the confines of our work flow?

Any assistance would help.

byori
2006-12-12, 10:06 PM
You could try making a new subcategory within the Object Styles, assigning the text (or whatever) to that subcategory, and controlling the visibility of only that subcategory in your view.

aaronrumple
2006-12-12, 10:17 PM
You could try making a new subcategory within the Object Styles, assigning the text (or whatever) to that subcategory, and controlling the visibility of only that subcategory in your view.There are no subcategories to text.

The workflow is just different in Revit. In AutoCAD you have one workspace and tend to pack it all in one plan/ceiling plan. Everything has to gt hen be managed with on/off.

Revit has infinite workspaces or views. So you set up a view for the required task. That view gets the text that that particular view needs. You don't toggle things on and off. And with properly configured view templates, there is almost never a reason to resort to on/off "layering". You just switch to the appropriate view for the task at hand.

Architectural has a view. Mechanical has a view. Plumbing has a view, etc....

ijnicholas
2006-12-13, 04:17 PM
I dont know exactly how you are gonna use this "layered" text in your project.
I have attached a "layered" text along. This is a generic annotation family. You could import it in your project and then drag into any views you like. This family has a set of 4 different notes (for mech, elec, arch and struct) and each can be switched off/on. You could tweak the locations of these text and the parameters etc.
But please reconsider, as aaron pointed out, your workflow to check if using RVt the intended way will enhance or improve your overall performance.
You could consider creating Legends for each discipline notes and then drag them to the sheets too. Notes created this way will be easier to edit. (than editing the generic annotation family...)
meendum santhippom

archjake
2006-12-13, 09:11 PM
Food for thought. Welcome to Revit where things work a bit differently, but thats a good thing.

views can only be placed on a sheet once. You can't put the floor plan on the arch sheet, and MEP sheets. To do this you must duplicate the view. Then the required text is added to each independent view. As the model changes the drawings will all be updated automatically. If you needed to communicate something on the drawing to a certain discipline you could have a communications drafting view where everyone goes to check the latest notes / posting. I have found that the way we work in revit is really well thought out, but every once in a while I have to scratch my head and go huh... What the heck were they thinking. This isn't one of those items.