View Full Version : How do I make a U shaped counter top

Dave Lewis
2006-12-17, 05:26 AM
In a kitchen how do I make a U counter top
I found a L and a straight, but no U

christo4robin
2006-12-17, 05:46 AM
David,

Seems to me you are ready to engage the family editor. You could open the L shaped counter, edit it, and turn it into a u shaped counter. If you haven't ventured into the family editor, run through a tutorial or two and give it a go.

Alternatively, create an in place family for your counter (I frequently do this with residential counters as sinks, stoves, etc. make parameterization useful in only about 50% of the cases) and you can create your U shaped counter easily.

Dave Lewis
2006-12-17, 06:09 AM
I get the basics but I think this is over my head
Would you be able to post and example?

Brian Myers
2006-12-17, 06:42 AM
I don't have Revit in front of me or I would provide you with one.

If you get a chance, give Mass elements or the family editor a chance, this type of element is a textbook case for the tools.(Perhaps a solid sweep?)

whittendesigns
2006-12-17, 02:54 PM
If you're looking for something quick and simple, use a floor. It adjusts quite well, can give the edge a profile, and can give it thickness.

Although I'm not sure but it doesn't schedule correctly.

blads
2006-12-17, 03:56 PM
In a kitchen how do I make a U counter top
I found a L and a straight, but no Ueasiest way is to make a simple extrusion - not parametric but it works

christo4robin
2006-12-17, 04:47 PM
Here is a family I use for schematic design - I've got one in a u shape, L shape, and straight. Open the U shaped family and you'll see how the reference planes, etc. work.

Dave Lewis
2006-12-17, 07:26 PM
That works

thankx

HawkeyNut
2006-12-18, 03:59 AM
Unless it's a simple counter top, I think this may be one of those (rare) occasions that warrants an in-place family. I usually create an in-place sweep of the casework category, based on the floor. You can then create the counter top including the back splash in one sweep and raise it to the appropriate level after completing the geometry...

Dave Lewis
2006-12-19, 06:02 AM
ya I don't understand sweeps yet or in-place families

HawkeyNut
2006-12-19, 02:21 PM
Try playing with this attached file, David.

Dave Lewis
2006-12-20, 06:58 AM
looks nice but how do I adjust the length of the counter?
I edited the sweep but could not figure out what to do next

aaronrumple
2006-12-20, 02:26 PM
I really wouldn't do in-place families for a countertop unless it is very unique and super custom. (Actually I wouldn't even do it then...)

You just need a U-space counter top family with the proper instanced parameters. The attached example should get you started.

Another trick is to make the model as a generic family and then use join geometry on the countertop. This makes it very flexible to draw about any shape you want. However you'll have to tolerate the countertop not being properly classified as casework.

bowlingbrad
2006-12-20, 03:35 PM
Here is a quick little line based u shaped casework family with adjustible left and right extensions. It also has a visibility parameter set up to show the backsplash. Reverse engineer this and use it at will.

I set up a test length parameter to default to in the case of placing a line that is too short.

HawkeyNut
2006-12-20, 04:01 PM
Here is a quick little line based u shaped casework family with adjustible left and right extensions. It also has a visibility parameter set up to show the backsplash.
Show-off...

david.metcalf
2006-12-20, 04:56 PM
Har, har. Seems like it when getting underway with Revit. All the possiblities available with this software can take time to absorb.