PDA

View Full Version : Printed list of default Materials?

Tyveka
2006-12-18, 08:25 PM
We are trying rename our materials according to CSI format so that we can tie our material takeoffs into cost-estimating. Hopefully, this will make it easier on the people that do our cost estimations.

My questions:

1. Is there any way to create a printed list of the default materials in the templates so that we have the original list?

2. Also, has anyone re-formatted their materials to do anything like this and if so what would you all suggest as a best method?

Thank you!

Steve_Stafford
2007-01-01, 05:38 PM
A printable list, no I don't believe so. If you really want to be able to connect them to your estimating you don't really need to rename them, take a look at keynoting or add the value you want to store to description parameter or make your own.

Steve_Stafford
2007-01-03, 08:18 AM
Don't know why I didn't think of this before...I used SnagIT (http://www.snagit.com) to create this captured image of the material list, the entire list...using the Scroll Active Window option to capture via scrolling down the list. Does that help at all?

SkiSouth
2007-01-03, 02:06 PM
We are trying rename our materials according to CSI format so that we can tie our material takeoffs into cost-estimating. Hopefully, this will make it easier on the people that do our cost estimations.1. You can assign Keynotes to materials by selecting the Identity tab in the material editor then use the pull down to select the Keynote.
a. The default CSI library with Revit calls thickness of materials. Could be an issue (each material thickness will need a new CSI number. Might have to edit keynote library, but quicker than method you are suggesting. For example Gypsum board material on walls. If your firm ONLY uses 5/8" gypsum, then material defined for all walls would be okay. But if you mix thicknesses then you'll need to define a separate material for each thickness. (There is no link between the material thickness defined in the wall editor and the keynotes.) Either that, or edit the example library to remove material thickness.
b. All materials will need CSI numbers - Advantage - quick Key noting.
c. Select keynoting by materials in Drafting pulldown, in section, plan and elevation - Pretty neat. All items with defined materials can be keynoted.

young
2007-01-03, 11:52 PM
I'm using NATSPEC numbering system in Australia for keynotes and renaming materials with the keynote number as weel as giving kenote identity. This way my materials stack at the top of the list and are located with the same logical order as keynotes from the spec's. the finishes schedule also references kenotes. e.g. 0511-A1 LINING - PLASTERBOARD - 10mm 0511-A2 LINING - PLASTERBOARD - 13mm. Then keynote by material where needed
One thing I would like is to be able to add extra fields to the kenote schedule e.g. comments

andy.130274
2007-01-04, 01:18 PM
We are working on a web based (relatively easy to use) estimator. Try the free demonstration after downloading supplied sample project file on www.ebusiness-software-121.com. Material info can be exported through along with dimensions etc. Let us know if it could help you sorting out specific tasks.

Tyveka
2007-01-04, 02:17 PM
Actually Steve, that does help. That is what we need to do.

The problem is the default materials are named too randomly. We need to organize the materials so that we don't have to explore the whole library to find what we are looking for when we want to apply it to a project. And yes, we will be keynoting according to the new CSI format. In fact, we already have the "complete" new keynote.txt file ready to roll. It's now a matter of organizing the library of materials.

Thank you for all of the suggestions!