PDA

View Full Version : Windows in Brick walls

chad.gore
2006-12-19, 02:44 PM
I'd need advice on creating a window family for insertion in a stud and brick cavity wall. I'd like the window and trim to wrap the stud and sheathing layers, but not the brick (like an actual installation). I'd also like the masonry opening to be larger than the rough opening. Is there a way to create a single wall opening that "jogs" in plan view? Perhaps I am going about this in the wrong way and should be creating two separate exterior walls (one stud and sheathing, and one brick and airspace) and joining them. Any tips on handling the openings in that situation. I have attached an illustration for clarity. Any advice is welcome.

Henry D
2006-12-19, 03:44 PM
To do this I use voids. The tricky part is that you can't combine a void with an opening. So if you want to adapt an existing window family you have to delete the opening and then create two voids: one for the window opening and one for the brick opening. These voids have to be constrained to the window opening so that they will flex with the window dimensions. This was one of the first custom families I had to create when I first started using Revit...it was a real learning experience..have fun! Attached is a window family made as I describe.

chad.gore
2006-12-19, 03:54 PM
Yep, this is kind of the "hump" family that, if successful, will allow us to really begin implementation here. Thanks for your help, it sounds like its just what I need, and I will try it. If anyone else has more input, please share. -cg

bking
2009-01-09, 05:48 PM
When I insert voids into the window family, I can not get them to display in the project. It inserts as a window floating in the middle of a wall. The voids are not cutting anything. What am I missing?

jeffh
2009-01-09, 06:05 PM
There is a tutorial to do this EXACT window condition in the Families Guide. It can be downloaded here:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=11091739

Look about 1/2 way down the page for the Families Guide. The guide PDF/CHM files and the datasets that go with the tutorials are in 2 seperate downloads. Make sure to download both if you want to work through the tutorials.

Henry D
2009-01-09, 09:49 PM
There is a tutorial to do this EXACT window condition in the Families Guide. It can be downloaded here:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=11091739

Look about 1/2 way down the page for the Families Guide. The guide PDF/CHM files and the datasets that go with the tutorials are in 2 seperate downloads. Make sure to download both if you want to work through the tutorials.

Jeff,

I looked at this tutorial and it does indeed show how to create a complex window opening as in a brick wall... but as a new family. It is more often the case that one wants to make an existing window family have a complex opening. If the window family is complicated, in my experience...this can be a huge undertaking, making sure that everything flexes correctly after the opening is deleted and the voids are added.

Why is it so difficult to program Revit to allow a void in a host with an opening?I really really wish it could...it sure would make my life a lot easier :lol:! Attached is a window with a complex void I did...rather than go through the pain of redoing the window I made a void family and inserted it into the project.

jeffh
2009-01-10, 04:17 AM
Jeff,

I looked at this tutorial and it does indeed show how to create a complex window opening as in a brick wall... but as a new family. It is more often the case that one wants to make an existing window family have a complex opening. If the window family is complicated, in my experience...this can be a huge undertaking, making sure that everything flexes correctly after the opening is deleted and the voids are added.

I usually find it easier to just start from scratch. Plus the goal of the tutorials in the Families Guide is to teach the family editor and how to create families. If someone learns how to create from scratch, I think they will have a decent chance making modifications to an existing window. :)