PDA

View Full Version : Room Schedule/ Tags/ Room-Advanced

bpaul
2006-12-19, 09:57 PM
I'll try to explain this as simply as I can. Our company often gets a room list from a client with the room numbers, names, areas, etc. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I understand we can't import that directly from excel into a Revit room schedule.

However, you can create a room schedule (with all the rooms listed) in Revit without having to place actual rooms in the plan. When you decide to place rooms, it gives you a pulldown menu of the rooms you have created. I'm looking for a way for those rooms (that I've created in the schedule) to create walls, or just a room seperation line, around it when i place it in the plan. This way I can see spatial relationships while laying the rooms out. Right now, all I get is the room tag, and I've tried to change the room tag to include walls, but that doesn't work...and i'm not sure how to change the room style.

And if you know a way to set the specific room area prior to placing it in the plan, that would be a plus. Thank You

I've attached a screen shot showing a test of what I'm thinking. I added a 'Program SF' Parameter to my schedule so I can tell if my area is over.

byori
2006-12-19, 10:33 PM
Good thinking!

Phil Read talked about doing something similar in his 'Advanced Revit Techniques at AU. The class number was BD41-3. You can find a link to his webcast here: http://au.autodesk.com/sessions/building/detail/17080/

He suggested making a proforma as a Key Schedule, and assigning each key to a room that exists in Revit Building. The Key Schedule would have the following fields: Key Name, Name, and Desired Area. "Key Name" has to be distinct for each room, i,e,m Office1, Office2, etc. "Name" is what you might want to show up on the room tag, e.g. "Office" instead of "Office1". "Desired Area" is exactly what it says.

When you go to make a Room Schedule, add a calculated value to the schedule that subtracts the existing Room Area from the "Desired Room Area" This will tell you how much over (or under) you are in square footage. You could also show this as a percentage, depending on how you would like it to show in your schedule. The one problem with this is that you still have to have actual ROOMS to assign the schedule keys to.

Not exactly what you were looking for, but it's a good start. Best of luck!

cphubb
2006-12-20, 12:31 AM
Correct me if i'm wrong, but I understand we can't import that directly from excel into a Revit room schedule.

Through the API one can now import from excel to the room object. However it will be much easier to use the import API procedure if the rooms already exist. Since it is hard to define the room bounding elements pragmatically

Andrew Dobson
2007-03-07, 03:09 PM
Through the API one can now import from excel to the room object. However it will be much easier to use the import API procedure if the rooms already exist. Since it is hard to define the room bounding elements pragmatically

Anyone know how to go about importing Excel data into a door schedule via the API?

lhanyok
2007-03-14, 10:02 PM
When you go to make a Room Schedule, add a calculated value to the schedule that subtracts the existing Room Area from the "Desired Room Area" This will tell you how much over (or under) you are in square footage.

Our office is about to start their second Revit project. I'm the only one around here who knows it (after working on the first pilot project), so I'm the Revit leader. However I didn't really do too much with scheduling and analysis on that first project (aside from typical door, window, and wall schedules), and now I'm trying to learn more about it.

I've just started dabbling in key schedules and stumbled across this post. I had no problems setting up the key schedule and room schedule to show the differences in square footage for each room. Then I thought it would be useful if I could somehow relate this information to the room style so that I see the over/under square footage for a room style in the preliminary stages of a project, as opposed to individual rooms. Is there a way to do this in Revit?

Thanks in advance!
Laura

cphubb
2007-03-14, 10:59 PM
Laura,
Are you saying you would like to assign a target SF to a room style and see the difference between target and actual? You can do that by adding a new calculated parameter to the schedule and doing an addition or subtraction depending on how you want to see the data. Take a look at the attached.

lhanyok
2007-03-15, 01:18 PM
You can do that by adding a new calculated parameter to the schedule and doing an addition or subtraction depending on how you want to see the data.

I've already done that, so I've attached a screenshot to show more what I'm trying to get after. In this example I made up I have three classrooms. According to an imaginary program, the total area of all classrooms should add up to 1200 sq ft. Is there a way to calculate the area of all three classrooms and compare it a total desired area? Essentially I want to take all rooms of the "Classroom" room style, add them up, and compare it to a desired area. From what I've experimented, this isn't possible. Any comments?

Thanks!

david.kingham
2007-03-15, 01:40 PM
Will this work for you? You cannot manually put in the total desired sf but you can for each individual room (I did it using room styles) then total them up....

lhanyok
2007-03-15, 01:45 PM
Not exactly what I was looking for, but it looks like something I could use. Thanks!